Which will win in the end? Full Screen or Widescreen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Kalon, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

I think that Widescreen will win in the end.
    The main reason is HDTV(Widescreen TV's).

Even though acceptance by the majority of consumers may take up to a decade, widescreen TV's will eventually become the norm for television sets.

Hopefully this will happen sooner than later, but eventually widescreen sets and therefore widescreen DVD's will become the standard. Then people will probably complain when they buy a pan and scan or full screen version DVD and see the black areas on each side of the picture.

2. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Widescreen will definently win as long as:
    1. We all get off our fat and lazy asses and start educating people.
    2. But LOTs of DVDs that are widescreen.
    3. Buy a widescreen TV and one for each bedroom.
    4. Complain to the store and the studios if you only see if a Pan and Scan version, like Snow Dogs, on the shelf.
    5. Hang posters from www.widescreenadvocate.com around in your area.
    Uh, we probably don't have to take it THAT far. Just keep rootin' for widescreen and it'll win. I think it winning now. Pissing a lot of Joe 6 Packs off though. But, if they don't like it, they should stick with VHS, which is starting to phase out too. Educate, support, and protect.
    Educate people about widescreen.
    Support widescreen by buying DVDs only in OAR.
    Protect movies from going through the Pan and Scan process by telling studios you will only view movies in OAR. Apparently Snow Dogs did get enough support for widescreen before it was released. NOW Disney has to listen to us bitch because there's no widescreen copy. THEY DESERVE IT THOUGH!! NO OAR = NO SALE!

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Ken
    In full agreement there with you, it is all about educating the masses out there.
    [​IMG]

4. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Not until most people have widescreen tvs.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Will it even win when folks have WS tv's or will they still insist on having their screens filled?

While many movies will have only slight bars that may be hiiden by overscan many other great films will still have bars, they just won't be as big.

6. George See

George See Second Unit

I agree WideScreen tv's won't solve the problem I get a lot of people at my house that say to me "I thought widescreen TV didn't have bars" it's infuriating at times, i've trained my family well though my wife and my mother both tell people I like to see the whole movie whenever anyone says anything about it.

7. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I just hope that that when widescreen TV's become commonplace in everyone's home that they don't start pseudo-OAR practices like cropping 2.35:1 down to 1.78:1 to fill the 16:9 screen. This "battle" will go on for a long time.

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    No the true JSP will just use the WS sets Expand or Zoom Modes to fill the Screen. Will the picture be distorted. Yes it will. Will they care? I'm sure they won't

9. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Widescreen will win cause I damn well want it to!!![​IMG]

10. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Since more and more things are being shown in widescreen on everyday tv, widescreen will win someday. Will it be overnight? No. But most people hate widescreen just because they aren't used to it. They have been fed P&S movies for years. I have to laugh at my DAD who is pretty much J6P who I find almost every weekend watching 2:35 movies on tv on AMC or something liek that. One of those channels that shows almost everything in OAR. I haven't heard him complain about that lately, so he's getting used to it slowly.

11. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    Although it will still be an ongoing battle for some time, I think widescreen is already starting to win.

It seems that with every dual release that the widescreen version outsells the full screen one. Of course, the margin should be more like 80-20 instead of 55-45 like it is now, but oh well.

Also, take Blockbuster as a case in point. At first they didn't seem to care what version. Then they started having a pro full screen stance. Discs like The Grinch were stocked full screen only. But, that seems to have changed. At the BB's I go to I only see the widescreen version on the shelf. In fact, The Grinch is the last one I can remember where there was no widescreen version available.

The other day I went into Blockbuster and they must have had a zillion copies of Lord of the Rings. Every single one of them was the Widescreen version. Even more suprising (or perhaps not), absolutely every single one of them was out.

The tide is turning. Slowly, for sure, but it's turning.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I think the studios are banking on people buying the fullscreen versions now, and when 16:9 sets become the norm, people will run out and "re-buy" the widescreen copies. I think that's why they don't take advantage of the DVD player's built-in pan & scan decoding.

I think we will see a resurgence in widescreen titles in the future. It's all marketing.

13. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'm more concerned with preserving the OAR of a film.

Whenever Widescreen sets become the norm in the future I'm afraid we may face the possibility of everything reformatted to 1.78:1

Cropping Scope & Academy ratio films to fill the screen of a Widescreen set would be just as bad as Pan & Scan/Open matte.

14. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The thing is that the public is slowly but surely experiencing forced assimilation.

The RETAILERS are not

KMart wants P&S, WalMart wants P&S, Blockbuster wants P&S

16. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Well, Blockbuster has done a 180 and now ONLY carries widescreen, so at least one major retailer is falling in line. Let's hope others follow suit.

p.s. - I wonder if that had anything to do with that petition a while back...

17. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

TV's with a 16:9 aspect ratio will become the standard. And when it happens the "wide-screen" term will disappear because 16:9AR TV's will be the standard and 4:3AR TV's will be a historical relic and will be known as "narow-screen" or some other term. I also believe that the term "wide-screen" is not the proper term to use at this time. See this post for more detail. But what do I know, im just a newly born elitist OAR snob. [​IMG]

18. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    As long as people buy widescreen DVD, there will be widescreen DVD.

20. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    16:9 will certainly win in the long run against 4:3, but the concerns over 16:9 P&S are certainly valid. When the guy who hates "them black bars" buys a widescreen TV and finds out that half the movies he watches still have black bars, he's going to flip.

If widescreen TVs would come with more levels of Zoom, maybe we could head this off. After all, you wouldn't have to zoom too much to get rid of the black bars on a 2.35:1 movie, especially with the large amounts of overscan that most sets have.

As a side note, I wish my Toshiba had one more level of Zoom, for non-anamorphic 1.66:1 discs.