Which wide screen to buy?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Frisby, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Lee Frisby

Lee Frisby Auditioning

I am interested in purchasing a wide screen rear projestion T.V. around the 57" range, and would appreciate any likes and dislikes that owners of Toshiba, Pioneer Elite, and Panasonic have. I was looking at these 3 brands and would apprecaite any input on them. Thanks

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

The general consensus puts Pioneer Elite at the top, followed by Toshiba/Panasonic. From my experiences, Toshibas look great with less tweaking, and offer many options in terms of tweaking. The Panasonics are said to look as good or better than the Toshibas after being tweaked.

Also, Sony has a popular 57" widescreen (I think the model is KP57HW40). Also a very nice set, which looks great out of the box, and even better with some tweaking. If you haven't had a chance to view this set, I recommend you do before making your purchase.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The Pioneer 533 is a proven winner. At $3,500 for a 53 inch it is much more reasonable than the Elites.
    What makes it a winner? The ability to show a high quality image withstandard definition material, such as cable or satellite.
    Since it will be years before the majority of material is HD, it is standard definition picture quality that separates the best from the rest. They all look great with HD material and DVD.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Although it's been pretty heavily criticized by some, Home Theater magazine has a review of 10 HD sets in it's March issue. Despite the inconsistancies, their overall results and impressions agree with my own.

They basically said the best picture overall was on the Pioneer Elite. The Toshiba HX was a very close second in picture quality, but was some $1400 cheaper.

5. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

I agree with Masood. Check out Sony's KP-57HW40 before you decide on one of the others.
    I came thisclose to purchasing a Mits WS-65819, and then a Toshiba 57HX81; however, they were both on backorder with no ship date provided, AND the salesmen reluctantly admitted to recent service/return issues with both sets.
    I decided to give the popular Sony KP-57HW40 a try, and I'm soooo glad I did. It had a fabulous picture right-out-of-the-box. A friend (who happens to sell HDTVs at a local store) used the Avia HT setup disc to tweak the set, and announced that the "Pro" setting was pretty close to Avia's recommended settings.
    DVD's look simply stunning on this set (via a progressive scan Sony player), yet I was absolutely amazed at the clarity and detail from my (usually crummy) cable reception. My friend kept asking which input I was viewing from...and was always surprised when I replied "cable."
    Each time I turn the set on, I'm awestruck by the clarity, the vibrant colors, and lack of artifacts (which I'd grown used to on my 32" Phillips set). It's a total rush to pop in a DVD and see it "like it was meant to be seen."
    Whichever set you ultimately decide on...may it be in stock and quickly delivered!! [​IMG]

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've had a KP57HW40 since last October, and would definitely recommend it.

It's easy to set up with AVIA, and that's all you really need to get a very nice picture. DVDs and HD are gorgeous, and even my mediocre analog cable looks quite watchable.

It's variable stretch mode is, imho, on a par with Toshiba's. Previous generation Sony sets had sorta soft, fuzzy DRC (line doubling), but it's nice and sharp on these new models.

The subtlety yet vividness of the color on this set is truly amazing.

There are some easy service menu tweaks that can eliminate all red push and turn off SVM without pulling/cutting any wires.

My original purchase was an Hitachi widescreen, based on my good experience with an analog Ultravision I bought in 99. After 2 weeds of frustration trying to get a decent picture from ntsc sources, I decided to return the Hitachi and go back to analog. When I went to the store to arrange to return the Hitachi, I saw an HW40 on display and played with it a bit, running both the store's HD and ntsc feeds. I liked what I saw and on an impulse decided to take a chance on one. Within 20 minutes of it's arrival I was hooked.