Which way to make my Tempest Sonosub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenjaminA, Jan 14, 2002.

1. BenjaminA

BenjaminA Extra

I have been messing around with WinISD and lspcad from Adire Audio trying to figure out how to make my Tempest Sonosub. The data I get from both seems to differ slightly from each other. On WinISD I came up with a volume of 8 cubic feet and 2 4" ports, 17.5" long to get it tuned to 20 hertz. On lspcad I put in the same stuff and get a different response. What would you think would be a good volume and port size/length to use to get loud bass down to at least 20 hertz in a sonotube 8 cubic feet or less? I will be using a 250 watt amp from partsexpress to power it. Thanks

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd drop WinISD and only use LspCAD for this. LspCAD is much more accurate. How about 225L (8 ft^3) tuned to 18hz with a single 6" port that is 61.8cm (24") long.

What diameter sonotube you thinking of using?

You also might want to as a moderator to move this post to the DIY advanced section.

3. BenjaminA

BenjaminA Extra

I am thinking of using 24" sonotube. How do I move this post to the DIY forum? Thanks

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I think the easiest would be to use the report this thread to a moderator button you see in the bar above each post. Has webpage, profile, edit, search etc.

Then in the form it brings up, for your reason state you goofed and would like it moved to the DIY section. The moderator will then take care of the rest.

5. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

My Tempest is per the Adire EBS alignment. 12 cubic feet, one 8" port x 36" for a tune of ~15.8.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Scott, my Tempest sub (Sunosub II) was 10 ft^3, ported with a 6" wide port 22" long for a tune of 16.5Hz, I would think that with 2ft^3 more, your 6" port should not be 36" long even with a slightly lower tune.

7. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Pat, thanks for catching my mistake. I meant an 8 inch port, not 6 inch. I have corrected my post.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Ah...that makes a little more sense.