What's new

Which way to go??? Have $750 - $1000 to spend on Fronts/Center/Surrounds (1 Viewer)

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Man this deciding on what to get is a killer ain't it? I currently have a Denon 3802 with some cheap Sony speakers from Best Buy along with the WM40 sub. I am trying to plan a speaker upgrade which will take place in a couple weeks.

I had been thinking about just getting the NSP-1 and some N38s for ~$550 from J&R. I was going to take a couple hundred to upgrade my DVD player to the Toshiba 4800 or the Panny CP72. Now I think I may want to put off the DVD player and take that money and put it toward the speaker upgrade. I am going to say my budget is $1k...

I watch movies/listen to music roughly 60/40. I like the idea of having some floorstanders for my front L/R channels. Is there a good speaker line out there that will match the Denon nicely and stay around my $1k budget? I currently don't have room to take advantage of 6.1/7.1 setup in my apartment, so I can get away with only 2 surrounds for a while. I am not interested in upgrading the sub yet, but likely will next year sometime. The lack of A/V stores in the area presents a problem when trying to listen to these higher end speakers also.

So please let out your recommendations here. The Klipsch Reference series looks really good, but I'm not sure if I can get the RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3s under my budget. Any other suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Mike

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you liked the JBL Northridge series, you may want to look at the Studio line. You can get the S310s for $392 a pair at www.harmanaudio.com. You can also get S38s for $300 a pair there. Add a S Center for around $150 from another online dealer, and you have a great setup around or under $900. The S310s would be great for 2ch music, and the S38s would be more than ample for surrounds. They may even be a little overkill. They S36s or S26s would probably be a more sensible choice for surrounds, but the special price on the S38s is less than you would pay for S36s anywhere else.

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input Stephen. I'll consider that.

I have found out that one of the VERY FEW A/V shops here carry Klipsch. I'll see if I can get by there soon to see if they have anything I can listen too.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I have found out that one of the VERY FEW A/V shops here carry Klipsch. I'll see if I can get by there soon to see if they have anything I can listen too.
Too bad you can't listen to more speakers - it's like picking out shoes without trying them on first! I find the Klipsch speakers to be a bit bright/harsh in the highs, but I know lots of folks like them a lot. You might try to find a deal on PSB speakers - Sound City had some on sale lately. The JBL's get lots of nods, so you can't go too wrong with them.

Can you travel to a bigger city to listen to speakers before you buy? This decision will have the most effect on your sound than any other component.

Good Luck!

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks