Which way should I go?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Kane, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Chris Kane

Chris Kane Extra

I have chosen this area as my first post as I would also appreciate both member and vendor feedback on my conundrum!
    But first, my current hardware to assist in informed advice:
    Display - Older Sony 32" 4:3 aspect at a viewing distance of 14ft. This could be reduced to 10ft. with some marital debate inevitable.
    Audio - Older two-channel system consisting of -
    Nelson Reed towers (8-02/B)
    NAD Integrated Amp (3140)
    Sumo Polaris Amp (100 watts)
    So...with the above in mind, here is my situation. I would eventually like to have a large (minimum 50") HDTV capable display and a surround system. However, with my taste and cash that doesn't match, I'll have to forgo either the display or the audio portion for as long as a year or two.
    I will have approximately $10,000 to spend on A/V equipment around the end of this month. Originally I was eager to acquire a 50" Plasma display but found the prices just out of my reach. Consequently, I began planning the audio portion and decided on M&K S-150s for LCR and Tripole surrounds. This left me with three possible receivers that looked like a fit. These are the Denon AVR-5803, Pioneer VSX-49TX and Sunfire Ultimate Receiver.
    Now everything changes! I just saw an ad for the Toshiba 50HP81 for $9,500. My only concern is that there is a newer version, the 50HP82 but I haven't attempted to research this yet.
    I have read that Plasma manufacturers have a price goal of $100 per inch but that could be years away - if ever! I would certainly be more comfortable paying 7 or 8 for a 50". I also know that surrounds are a must for a home theater.
    I swear this paragraph gets to my question! Which way should I go? Should I wait for prices to drop on plasma's and get the sound squared away or should I go with a beautiful image and my two-channel audio that does produce some great sound?
    Mucho thanks to those patiently bearing through this diatribe!
    Chris

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Chris,

Unless you're absolutely dead set on Plasma, I'd spend $2500-3k on a 50-57" crt based rptv and the rest on the audio. It's really easy to get scared about crt based rptvs what with all the talk about burn-in and the need for professional calibration and such. In my experience if you pick a brand with a rep for good performance out of the box and calibrate it with AVIA you can get a very nice picture indeed and let the pro calibration go for a while. Burn in has been an absolute non-issue for me in over 3 years, since I don't run my set in torch mode and don't watch CNN or play video games with stationary images for hours at a time.

If you are dead set on Plasma, get the display now and wait for the audio. You have a very nice sounding stereo setup right now. With a 14 foot viewing distance I think you'll get more bang for the buck with a big display than if you go as high end as you're contemplating with sound and stick with a 32" analog tv.

3. Chris Kane

Chris Kane Extra

Steve,

The tweaking required for RPTV is not my concern. However, the picture sweet spot is. Now I have to admit that the only RPTVs that I've seen have been in bright showrooms. I guess this is the same reason (bright showrooms, not sweet spot) I have not given front projection a closer look.

I know that RPTV is much better than it used to be but viewing height seems so critical that it concerns me a bit. I admit that I know next to nothing about the technology. Only that some use LCD technology, which only makes things more confusing. Which type of RPTV allows for the largest, for lack of a better term, viewing sweet spot?

Thanks,

Chris