Which virus scanner is the best?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Neil Joseph, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I currently use Norton Antivirus on both of my systems but I have seen situations where Norton could not get rid of a virus whereas Stinger could. I am having doubts about Norton's true abilities.

Seeing that my live update will expire in the next couple of months, which scanner is the best to block out all viruses and has regular auto updates. I like the idea that it automatically looks for updates in the background when I am online.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

We use Stinger a lot at work on infected client machines. It's only meant as a standalone app to remove worm-type viruses. It's a handy tool because it's so small - it can be emailed or put on a floppy. I've often seen it stop 'live' infections where the regular VirusScan Enterprise isn't able to - any they're both made by the same people!

In the corporate world, Sophos, Trend and Kapersky are considered pretty much the top of the tree but there's nothing necessarily wrong with McAfee, Symantec or any of the others. For home machines, I like BitDefender because it's quick and light (Symantec stuff always feels very bloated). Panda Titanium always scores very well in detection but I preferred BitDefender.

Basically, you'll ALWAYS come across a situation where your main AV app wont remove a stubborn virus.

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I had Norton as well and have switched to AVG 7.0 Pro from Grisoft because Norton just seemed very bloated. I must say, I do like AVG.

They do have a free version at grisoft.com I haven't had a problem with it yet. The only reason I paid for the Pro version is because I use an email program other then Outlook, and the free version only scans emails through Outlook.

Rob's post is pretty good, there are a lot of good AV programs. I just thought I'd add this company to the list as well. And since they have a free version (and I think you can demo the pro version for 30 days) you can give it a try and see how you like it.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Yeah, AVG is the best known of the free AV apps. I don't think the free version will do automatic updates though.

5. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Anyone use Trend Micro? We use it at work and they (work) even offer us free home use of it. I have norton currently...

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Computer Associates/eTrust firewall and AV are my faves.

7. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Yup, it does [​IMG]

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

It does, Rob. It's the AV program I put in anyones PC when they ask me to "fix" their computer. I'm shocked that most of them don't have anything when I get it. No wonder their computer needs "fixin."

The only automatic problem I can remember from the free version is if you want it to do an auto virus test, the options are "yes" or "everyday at the same time." Now, I'm pretty paranoid, but I don't feel the need to check for virii every single day. And I don't want it to be set on everyday on anyone's computer that I look at.

Part of the reasoning I had behind switching from Norton myself is that it is so popular. If there is an exploit in Norton and also a different exploit in another AV program, I'm under the impression that if bad people know about both they will take advantage of the Norton exploit first.

9. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Nod32 is pretty popular (especially with gamers) since it has a very small footprint, it's quick, accurate and resource light.

Kaspersky AV http://www.kaspersky.com/
    is well regarded as one of the most aggressive and accurate antiviruses out there. You can find their engine in other AV tools.

AVK (Extendia Antivirus) is popular...it uses a older version of the Kaspersky engine and is only like $10 for 1 years worth of updates. You can find it at Radioshack or Walmart in the bargin bin. It's very effective, I've setup a few people with this. The best part is that it will update at pc startup or at a scheduled time and includes a email scanner.

AVK also has a pro version that uses a double scanning engine but the license is $60 or so.

If your pockets are light I'd say AVG but if you can spare $10 definitely consider AVK.

Stinger is a removal tool not a prevention tool....big difference, still very useful to have in the arsenal [​IMG]

10. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Personally I think Norton is the Bose of virus scanners. I have helped friends make their computers run better by stopping background programs not needed, deleting cookies, spyware, defragging and of course running a anti virus program. The generic maintenance stuff.

You would be surprised when after I d/l the free version of AVG and install it to their computers that it would find stuff that Norton didn't.

11. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I personally use AVG myself, I really hate how norton will take over the computer it's installed on.

12. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I gave up on Norton. I've been using AVG. Their updates are at least as frequent as Norton. Typically a couple per week.

13. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I just ditched Norton as well after getting hit by a backdoor Norton didn't protect me from, and couldn't do anything with after getting infected.

I put this in another post somewhere but the short version of the story is that this backdoor shut off access to Nortons' site, and those of many other AV makers...But not TrendMicro, Panda or AV.

I ended up spending way too much time doing registry editing per Nortons instructions which I accessed from another computer.

Afterwards, I found that a simple online scan from PcCillin (Trendmicro product) would have taken care of the virus...And that AV and Panda would have stopped it altogether before it infected my computer, while Norton knew I got it, but couldn't stop it or fix it or even Quarantine it.

Pretty lame considering this was a backdoor that was "medium" in frequency and had already been around for 3 months. Norton clearly dropped the ball.

From this experience, I concluded that there are at least 3 better AV products out there, and opted for Panda because it came bundled with Sygate.

Now I can't get Norton fully uninstalled, but that's another issue altogether. [​IMG]

14. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Yea, I am considering ditching Norton and was concerned about the removal process too [​IMG] Seems it overloads my machine way too much for what good it does?

So everyone uses AVG then?