Which Video Card Will Allow Me To Watch TV On A Seperate Monitor?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Price, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Brian Price

Brian Price Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, looking for some help here. I am looking for a reasonably priced video card that will allow me to either watch tv in a small window on my pc or watch tv on a seperate monitor. I have seen GeForce cards and Radeon video cards and I have also seen seperate cards that are just tv tuners. It would be nice to have a good gaming card that does the tv thing but I really don't want to pay an outrageous price. Also, is it possible to have 2 cards? A tv card and a video card for games? I value any opinions on my best options. Thanks.

Brian

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

its possible to have two cards, one pci card and one agp card.

BUT, the new line of GF4 cards are very promising for dial head, as well as 2D quality.

did you know that you can get a GF4 ti 4400 card for $235 shipped at Gateway.com? use discount code BA686. ($50 off)

or you could get a GF4 MX card which will be a much worse gaming card though.

nothing on Radeons really ever works like it should. There always seems to be one feature that is a PITA to use, or doesn't work with the current drivers.

I would highly recommend using a seperate capture card for feeding your computer video. IO Magic PC PVR card is $30 from compusa and is great for svideo capture.

3. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

I use the ATI Radeon 8500 and a Hauppauge win tv card with 2 monitors hooked up. I am very pleased with the performance of this setup. It's great to be able to watch tv on one monitor and surf the internet etc. on the other monitor. When it comes to gaming, then you should shut 2nd monitor off. The 8500 has been a great gaming card for me, and the price is dropping for it.