Which video card is better Geforce 2 64mb SDRAM or Geforce 3 32 MB DDR ram?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Price, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Brian Price

Brian Price Stunt Coordinator

I am looking into getting a video card to enhance gaming and am looking at Geforce 2 64 mb SDRAM and Geforce 3 with 32 mb DDR ram. What is the smarter decision? Which is better? All comments are appreciated.

Brian

2. Sean W. Evans

Well, anything over 32mb memory is there to support large texture sizes and ever increasing geometry in fps. Now the geforce 2 has memory clocked at around 200 mhz or so, but the geforce 3 has ddr memory, so the speed is doubled to around 400mhz. So even though it has less ram than geforce 2, it operates quicker and has a newer architecture, so I believe the geforce 3 with 32mb ddr ram is a better choice. IMHO

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

GF3's don't come in a 32MB configuration. They're all 64MB DDR.

If you buy a GF2, make sure you buy a Ti series. If you buy a GF3, the Ti200 series is the best bang for your buck, and the Ti500 series is there if you have the money.

Realize that the Geforce4 cards will be shipping at the beginning of March, so if you hold out until then, I almost guarantee GF2 & GF3 prices will drop.

4. Brian Price

Does my CPU speed or other factors effect which card will work best for me? I have a PIII 600mhz with 312 mgs of Ram. I was thinking about waiting for a price drop on the GeForce 3 Ti200 with 64mb DDR.

Brian

5. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Geforce3's are very powerful cards that push most CPUs to their limit, meaning that your performance will be limited by your CPU and not your video card in most cases. Pushing a GF3 to its limit in most modern games requires at least a 1GHz CPU.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

If you have a sub-700Mhz GF3, the GF3 will sit there hungry for info, you should upgrade your CPU/Mobo/RAM first and then do a videocard upgrade later.

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Kelley's right. Pairing a GF3 with a 600Mhz processor will be like trying to fill a gallon bucket with an eyedropper.

8. Brian Price

Do any of the GeForce 2 cards have a video input to allow you to hook up your cable and watch it in a window on your computer? There are so many technical specs for these cards I can't seem to figure it out! Thanks.

Brian

9. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

The Visiontek Xtasy Everything has full tuner/VIVO/DVR capabilities.