Which versions should I get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Which Frank Sinatra greatest hits should I get?
    Which Dean Martin greatest hits should I get?
    Which Rolling Stones greatest hits on SACD should I get?

I want the best sound quality while still being true to the original recording this is possible. In the case of the stones, I want to know whether I should get the singles collection or go with hot rocks. which of these is better?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Allen, I can't comment on Sinatra or Dean Martin (though i would be interested in the replies you get), but I have the remastered version of Hot Rocks 1964-1971. It is outstanding. Both the CD and SACD layers are phenomenal, and the CD layers throughly obliterate the '86 ABCKO version. I don't have the remastered version of The Singles Collection, but it is on my wantlist. It supposedly has different versions (single versions vs. LP versions) of most tracks. So, I guess it comes down to personal preference as to which title you get. If you go with Hot Rocks, you might also want to get More Hot Rocks. I am looking to get More Hot Rocks and The Singles Collection. For more on the particulars of these titles, go to the following site (Section 4 in particular):
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=st...4ax.com&rnum=3

3. Michael Gilliam

Allen,
    I agree with Keith. You can't go wrong with the "Hot Rocks" SACD. I have it and others of the recently released SACDs. I have the old, non-SACD version of "The Singles Collection" but I don't think I would get it on SACD, but that's just my personal preference. "Singles" contains mono tracks (mostly, if not all), even on the SACD version. Unless you're just a completist, purist, or just like mono over stereo, I would just go with "Hot Rocks."
    I would point you towards www.highfidelityreview.com where you can search for SACD stories on the Stones. They have a complete breakdown of what versions of the songs (mono vs. stereo, different versions, etc.) are included on each of the new 22 SACD releases. I currently have 6 of the new Stones SACDs, and they all sound wonderful. Hope to get more soon.
    As for Sinatra, I'm not a huge fan so others may debate this or have more to add, but I would recommend "Sinatra Reprise-The Very Good Years." This is a greatest hits, if you will, of his recordings for the Reprise label, and you will probably recognize many. At least I think it would be a good start, I enjoy it.
    Good luck with your selections!

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I would also recommend Hot Rocks from the Rolling Stones and The Reprise Greatest Hits from Frank Sinatra. The song It Was a Very Good Year is worth the price of this CD, alone. IMO, this is Sinatra's best song he ever recorded.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marty, is "Bangles, Baubles and Beads" on that Sinatra set from Reprise? It is on The Sopranos: Peppers & Eggs SACD, which is a Sony release. I ask because I looked at a few Sinatra compilation discs and have not found this song. I love the song and the sound quality of this track on the SACD, but I am wondering if it is a somewhat obscure Sinatra recording.