What's new

Which version of WATCHMEN to import? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I greatly enjoyed Watchmen and was disappointed to learn that the upcoming Blu-ray release would include only the "director's cut" of the film, with over twenty minutes of additional material. I'm sure the director's cut will be good, but I'm the kind of person who likes to have all the different versions of a movie, and I was looking forward to owning the same version of WATCHMEN that I saw in the theater.

I notice, however, that the theatrical version is being released on Blu-ray in some foreign countries, and I'm probably going to import one of those releases. However, I'm not sure which to get.

I had originally considered the UK release. But I have two concerns. First: are Paramount's UK Blu-ray releases typically region-locked? I know there are region-free Blu-ray players readily available, but I don't have one and it would simply be easier if the disc was compatible with region-A players. Second: Does the disc have any PAL extras? I know that the movie itself is in HD and should play on any HDTV, but don't UK releases sometimes include standard-definition extras in PAL? This wouldn't be a deal-breaker since I'd still have the extras from the US version, but I'd just like to know.

The other release I am considering is the Japanese one. Japan is in the same Blu-ray region as the US, and it uses NTSC, so the above issues wouldn't be a concern. However, it costs about $20 more and I'm afraid it won't be as English-friendly.

Does anyone know anything about the import-friendliness of these or other internation WATCHMEN releases? I'm especially curious to know about the region encoding on the UK release.

Thanks.

Eric F

Screenwriter
You might consider waiting for the "Ultimate Edition" being released around the holiday season.

Eric F

Screenwriter
The director is fairly confident it will and already has the extra footage in the can for it. If it doesn't I can always pick up this version at a later date. I get a sense the Ultimate Cut will release at some later date, we just don't know when.

Eric F

Screenwriter
5198b.jpg

http://www.theblurayblog.com/2009/07/watchmen-ultimate-collectors-edition-blu-ray-details-revealed/

There you go, proof positive of its release, so there's probably no reason at all to import anything.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by PaulDA

I don't think this has the original theatrical release cut either, though.
I think you're correct but it may be on there. Out of the five discs, three of them will be 1. the director's cut with the Black Freighter footage, 2. Under The Hood and 3. The Motion Comics. If the link above is correct and they don't recycle the extras from the earlier release then that leaves two discs of new content. Of course, at least one of those will be a behind the scenes/documentary disc. So the last disc may contain the theatrical cut but I admit, it seems unlikely.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I greatly enjoyed the Director's Cut and I'm considering to own it. Is this new version good? I'm afraid to blind buy it and it turn out an inferior movie. Just because it has more footage it doesn't mean it's better. Does this set include the Director's Cut also?

Edit: Talking about the Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The new "Ultimate Cut" Blu-ray release includes only that cut of the film, which incorporates the Black Freighter material. The previously-released "Director's Cut" is not included, and neither is the original theatrical version (except as a "digital copy").

In case anyone is interested, I did finally purchase the UK Blu-ray release of the theatrical version.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't know; I haven't actually watched it. I just know what's included on account of research I did trying to find a domestic release of the theatrical version before finally importing it from overseas.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks