What's new

Which version of 'Vertigo' soundtrack CD to buy? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I apologize if this belongs in Music, but I was wondering which is the better CD to buy...

The Vertigo soundtrack CD which uses the original recordings or the version with the re-recordings by Joel McNeely.

While I have my eyes set on the original recording, are there any advantages over it for the re-recording?

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I agree with Richard Carnahan. It's one of the most beautiful scores ever written so I'm glad to have both, but the original has three cues that aren't available on the re-recording: "Mission Organ", "The Past" and "The Girl" (the lovely music accompanying the scene where Scotty first sees Judy and follows her to the Empire Hotel).

--Bill

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I'm going to have to disagree with Richard and highly recommend the McNeely re-recording if choosing between the two.
First of all, the Muir Mathieson recording is not the original recording as heard in the film, but an album recorded separately around the same time. (He did also conduct the original score in the film.) Mathieson's recording was not done to Herrmann's wishes and it is missing a few cues.
The McNeely re-recording was done to Herrmann's specifications, contains the complete score and was recorded in sumptuous sound. It is the recording recommended by the Bernard Herrmann Society.
You can read that esteemed group's detailed review (and comparison) here:
http://www.uib.no/People/midi/soundt...ws/vertigo001/

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I found one more cue that's only on the original: "The Streets". But the re-recording has two cues that aren't available anywhere else: "Graveyard" and "Tombstone". I guess the only way to have the whole score is to get 'em both.

--Bill

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Randy and I go way back as far as Herrmann enthusiasm goes, but I'm going to disagree with him here... in all possible cases, I'd heartily recommend the original recording. But hey, why not get both versions? I have both, and I wouldn't trade either.
Randy, are you sure the Matheson-conducted version is NOT the same as in the film? I've never heard this... are you saying that Matheson conducted two different sessions (film and album)? Please elaborate. ;)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I'm sorry. My comments were made about the original Mercury recording, and that's the recording being compared in the BHS review I noted.

The remastered Varese release of the original soundtrack is a different story. It has the extra cues, as Bill noted--although McNeely's has one, Graveyard and Tombstone, not on it. McNeely's has better sound, too.

I'd still opt for McNeely if choosing one, because it was painstakingly recorded to match Herrmann's notations in the score, which Mathieson didn't do in either recording.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I have the McKneely Psycho score, and although he was attempting to be faithful to the original tempi, I didn't care for it much. It has some different cues than waht was originally used in the movie. It is the complete score though, and I guess since I only have a modified cd of the Danny Elfman score, I guess I will have to make due. Sorry I got on the whole Psycho kick. I was just thinking of the McKneely cd that I own.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Randy, are you sure the Matheson-conducted version is NOT the same as in the film? I've never heard this... are you saying that Matheson conducted two different sessions (film and album)?
I've always inferred that from things I've read. The Herrmann Society described it like this: "Mathieson conducted the actual film score and the album and apparently did neither to Herrmann's specifications."

That sure sounds like separate sessions ("did neither") to me.

But this is a difficult choice: I have both, so it's silly to try to pick one over the other.

But look at it this way: Do you want to re-create the film experience (Varese OST), or do you want the best musical experience (McNeely)? I opt for the latter, personally.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Having done some work at Paramount ( and having access to some original contracts done for the music department) but I saw the agreements between Paramount and the Mercury record company, including dates when the original Vertigo tracks were sent to Mercury records. it IS the actual film track.
As far as its not being to Herrmanns specifications - this is clearly a case of sour grapes. Herrmann was not allowed to conduct because fo the American Musicians Union strike at the time.
Almost as good as the soundtrack is a french recording of Vertigo conducted by James Conlon- it is, I believe, note complete and was conducted withthe film running. It was marketed in a strange way. There was a french book about the film and the CD was free in the book!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
There was a french book about the film and the CD was free in the book!
Amazon sells used copies of the out-of-print U.S. version of that book, Feature Film: A Book by Douglas Gordon, here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...205976-5268827
For what it's worth, noted film-music critic Royal S. Brown, who considers Vertigo among his top film scores, praised the Conlon recording for its completeness--but votes for McNeely as being the best performance.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I have both and, if pressed, would say that the McNeely re-recording comes out on top with me. If nothing else, the sound quality is MUCH better.
A wonderful score either way. It's a win/win situation regardless of which one you choose. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks