Which version of Silence of the Lambs is best

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Since I found a few "Ultra Rare copies" of this movie in criteron collection, is it worth it or should I just get the MGM versin.

How much better/worse is the picture and sound for either, and also are there any major differences in the special features.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Personally I'd opt for both if you have the spare dough laying around, that's what I did. The Criterion doesn't have the best transfer, but it's got some good extras, including a great commentary. The newer version has some different extra's and a petter transfer, but no commentary.

3. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

I really enjoyed the commentary on the Criterion version of Silence.... The new version has some nice features as well. If you could do it, I'd opt for both.

4. Ryan L B

Is the MGM version in Dobly Digital 5.1 and 16x9 enhansed

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The current version is enhanced and has full DD 5.1. If you can get that as well as the OP Criterion disc, do so. They're both worth having.

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The Criterion Collection Edition is presented in letterbox widescreen with the original Dolby Stereo soundtrack. The supplements exclusive to the Criterion Collection Edition are the audio commentary, excerpts from the FBI crime manual, and the excerpts from "Voices of Death."

MGM's specal edition is presented in anamorphic widescreen with a remastered Dolby Digital soundtrack. This version features the "Into The Labyrinth" documentary with new interviews with Anthony Hopkins and archived interviews with Jodie Foster & Jonathan Demme.

8. Ryan L B

would the dobly stereo track sound bad on a surround sound system, and are the Deleted scenes the same for both discs.

I found two copies of the criteron edition at FYE in the if anyone was intrested on where to find some since it has been OOP for a while now.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I prefer the Criterion. The colors and densities are very different between the two DVDs, and the Criterion is more the way I remember it (although it has been more than 10 years since I saw it in the theater, so maybe it's just the way I prefer it). In general, it is darker and warmer. There is actually more low-end in the 2.0 Criterion audio than there is in the new 5.1 remix.

That being said, the Criterion is not anamorphic and there are occasional compression artifacts, so if you are hyper sensitive to visible scan lines or faint compression noise, that may tilt the scale the other way for you.

The extras between the two versions complement each other very nicely. Between both discs, the best extra is the Criterion commentary, but a close second is the new MGM documentary. The only way to get both is to buy both versions.

Regards,

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I've A/B'ed the Criterion with the newer MGM and still can't figure out which one I like better. The MGM has anamorphic enhancement but looks much too bright for me. When Clarice first visits Hannibal, you can see great detail in the hallway. Part of this is due to the extra resolution but part of it is due to the Criterion image being darker. I can't say which is better or which is correct, because I don't know what is the desired result. The DofP was supposedly involved with both.

I also prefer the DD 2.0 Criterion track to the DD 5.1 on the MGM. But that's just my opinion.

11. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Ken, if you're going to post the same thing as me, at the same time as me, and say it better, you could at least let me know. [​IMG]

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

13. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Get them both.....I did, and I'm quite happy with them. However, if anamorphic is more important to you than the commentary, get the MGM version.

14. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

For me, anything that is anamorphically enhanced ALWAYS gets the nod over the same film that isn't. Audio is subjective (some films work as well in Pro-Logic as in DD) but video isn't. You can't replace the film looking as good as it can-unless you are an extras nut, which I'm not.

Bruce

15. Ryan L B

Since I have around $45, I'll try to get the Criteron version simce it is very rare and hard to get.

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I'm in the camp that prefers the look of the Criterion version. Objectively, the MGM one presents a more attractive image, but subjectively, it harms the film. To quote myself from my review:

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Ken:

18. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I'm another who prefers the Criterion version to the MGM one, but agree that having both is the ideal solution. (If nothing else, the documentary on the MGM disc is excellent, even though it doesn't feature contributions from Demme or Jodie Foster).

No-one's mentioned that the MGM version has horrible player-generated captions, which in no way mimic the ones seen on the theatrical presentation of the film (or the Criterion disc).

19. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden