What's new

Which version of Robocop to get? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched Robocop for the first time the other night - I rented the Criterion version.

Is this cut of the film better than the theatrical cut? I'm asking because I would like to buy just one version of the film. The current MGM theatrical release is the best video quality out there and I can pick it up cheap; however, I have reason to believe late this Spring MGM will be releasing the same Criterion, longer version. Maybe I'm better off waiting for it? Are the extra scenes of the longer cut just gore?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
As I recall, the shot of the man lying on the table being riddled with bullets by ED209 is the only shot that had to be eliminated to attain the R rating. If MGM is releasing the longer cut with commentary, anamorphic video and 5.1 audio soon (I have not heard this) then I would wait for it.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I also noticed the scene where Murphy is shot by Boddicker and his henchmen is also a little bit more extreme in the Criterion edition.
Here's what IMDB has to say about the differences:
Link Removed

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
The R2 MGM version has seamless branching to allow you to watch either the theatrical or unrated versions so you have the choice.

I presume this will be out on R1 later this year, in the UK we got the original Terminator about 6 months before the US and both titles are from MGM.

The only issue is MGM use a 1.85 anamorphic picture when the Criterion is a director approved ratio 1.66 non-anamorphic. Not sure if it was filmed open matte or if the MGM is zoomed in slightly so you lose some of the top & bottom of the picture

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The R-rated version is fine, but personally, I prefer the director's cut, because the extra gore is so over-the-top that it's more in keeping with the satirical tone of the film. I've had the Criterion version for a while, but I may pick up the new MGM SE when it comes out for the better transfer, and especially if they have both cuts. The current MGM disc is cheap, though, and probably worth it. I've heard the video/audio quality is far superior to the Criterion version. So, whatever you think. :)

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Bryan,

Forgot to mention that in the UK we have to buy a boxset of all 3 Robocop films (2 & 3 are just the plain film).

They are not releasing just Robocop as a standalone SE. Although given my luck this will come out next month after I have bought it.

Price is GBP 33 although I got an online price of GBP 26 (approx USD 40)

Malcolm

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Forgot to mention that in the UK we have to buy a boxset of all 3 Robocop films (2 & 3 are just the plain film). They are not releasing just Robocop as a standalone SE.
Yikes, that's no good. Although, I guess MGM thinks it's a shrewd marketing concept. Maybe it is. I just hope they don't do that over here. Perhaps they'll do the Rocky thing and make the sequels available only in the box set. Of course, I can't imagine anyone who liked the first film liking the sequels, but who knows?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I probably just wait to see what the new MGM has exactly. Having both versions like R2 would be nice.

What was Robocop framed at in the theaters: 1:85 or 1:66? Or something else?

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
What was Robocop framed at in the theaters: 1:85 or 1:66? Or something else?
For theaters it was framed at 1.85:1. But the film was shot in open matte, so for the Criterion LD and DVD release, the director wanted the film to be shown at 1.66:1. With the 1.66:1 framing, you see more on the top and bottom (but not too much that you start seeing boom mics and what not) and it's the director's preferred framing.

It's a damn shame MGM has that stupid policy that 1.66:1 films won't be anamorphic, but if it's 1.78:1 (and wider) it will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks