Which version of Nosferatu (1922) should I buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brandon Conway, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I see that there are two different DVDs out there.

Should I get the new Kino disc, or the Image SE?

Thanks

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    While the Kino edition may have better framing, the 2001 Nosferatu: Special Edition released by Blackhawk (red cover) is excellent.

The video is ultra sharp and clear. There still is some speckling and stuff, but it's still very clear. It's also nearly grain free AND without excessive digital artifacts.

There are two scores: a 5.0 DD synth score which is fairly awful. There is a 2.0 stereo organ score that perfectly suits the film. The louder, the better.

As for extras, it has a commentary, art gallery, a "then and now" gallery of locations used in Nosferatu, and the phantom carraige ride shown in positive.

You'll be safe with either the red cover Blackhawk DVD or the Kino edition. Please...avoid ANY other edition at all costs (at least in R1). There's plenty of public domain "cheapie" discs with some acid rock band providing the "score"

3. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Cool - looks like I'll get the Image/Blackhawk "red cover" version.
    I appreciate it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

More comments, anybody? I'm also on the fence with this one, though I'm leaning towards the Kino edition because of I'm a sucker for correct framing.

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Worth noting is that the new Kino DVD contains a somewhat longer cut of the movie (Bologna version). A Digitally Obsessed review by Mark Zimmer points out the differences.
    Dvd Beaver did a comparison of the Image release and the R2/BFI version, which contains the same Bologna version as the Kino release.
    I have that BFI version, and if you're multi-region compatible, it may be the best choice, if only for the excellent James Bernard score.

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Mark
    I was dubious about the two versions as well, now that you pointed out the difference, I will go for the BFI r2 version
    Bedankt
    Oscar
    [​IMG]

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Yeah, the Image version is cut and the framing is off in some key moments. Go for either the Kino or the BFI R2 edition.

Jeff

8. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

.....Or even for the French R2 version, which supposedly* also contains the longest cut and German intertitles (with optional English and French subs.
    It's also a dual layer disc, with a French cut (not tinted, running at sound speed, French intertitels) on the extra layer.
    Info At Dvd.Fr (in French)
    *According to the DvdBeaver comparison

9. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Actually, on my Kino disc, the top of Nosferatu's head is still sliced off when he pops up from the coffin on board the ship. Digitally obsessed says for the first time it wasn't on the Kino disc. Is this due to the overscan on my TV?

10. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

That film-scholar commentary on the Image DVD is quite good and, to me, essential for today's viewers to understand filming conventions from 80 years ago. I'm really surprised that Kino didn't include some kind of commentary on its release.

11. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

12. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

[Bump]
    Can anybody who owns the new Kino release check out the screen caps of the R2 BFI release at the linked posted above and say if the tinting is the same as in the new Kino disc? Thanks!

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yes, if you eliminate overscan on the Kino disc, Orlok's entire head is there, with a little clearance to boot. Not so on the Image disc. But if you have significant overscan, you may well lose some on the Kino---though you'll probably lose Orlok's whole head off the Image disc in that case! I've not seen the BFI or French versions, so I can't be of any help there.

Just to point out, the first version of the Image disc has a grey cover, which is why people keep mentioning the reddish cover. The source print is immeasurably better on the red-cover version.

If the presentation of the movie proper is the most important to you, go for the Kino. If the extras are important, the Image disc comes out ahead. Both discs happily reside side by side in my collection.

14. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

If at all possible, you should get a copy of the latest issue of Video Watchdog. It has an exhaustive comparision of the different NOSFERATU discs(and all of the other German Horror Silents) by Gary L. Prange. From reading his article, I've decided I also want the Kino NOSFERATU, even though I already own the red Image edition, mainly for the framing and the fact that Kino offers a slightly different cut of the film. However, there are individual shots that the Image DVD has that the Kino is missing, and the Image print is(according to Prange) better overall.