What's new

Which version of NIXON to get? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
No other political scandal -- not Enron, "Monicagate," Whitewater, Iran-Contra, or anything else -- can compare to the scandal that was Watergate.
Where and how is there a political scandal with Enron? I mean there's no evidence that a Republican or Democrat did anything shady here.
I know, I know. We should avoid politics. But, I couldn't let it go by. :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Perhaps I should have said, "potential scandal." When the GAO sues the Vice Pres, I'd call that at least a brewing scandal.
And there was no actual evidence in Whitewater, either, but it was still a scandal. ;)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
So you think this thread pushed Buena Vista to finally release the 2 disc Nixon DVD? :) I'm disappointed that they're using the same non-anamorphic transfer, but this is probably the best the movie is going to get anytime soon.
Gregory

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was able to get the 2 disc version a year ago on ebay.
I dont have a 16x9 TV,but to me the old transfer wasnt that bad. The 2 disc version looks a bit worse -its too bad, I was hoping they delayed the release of this becuase they were making a new transfer,I guess not.
I love Born on the 4th of July and Nixon and neither looks as good as they should on DVD.:frowning: :frowning:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The original NIXON is available as a Columbia House enrollment, just to let you know. I placed an order today.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Maybe this is too off topic but when the Oliver Stone set was originally planned they had mentioned that the DVD would have other 40 minutes worth of deleted footage. Perhaps Ultimate edition? As for Nixon, I doubt Disney has any plans to visit this anytime soon, so in fact. Are best bet would be Criterion but I don't think that would ever happen.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Chad,

The 2 disc Nixon does have a lot of deleted scenes included. Not only were some edited back into the movie, but there is also a seperate deleted scenes section if I am remembering correctly.

Gregory

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I've been looking at this title again and i have to say the video on the 2-disc edition is not that bad after all. The re-inserted director's cut sequences are still terrible, but on a regular 4:3 Television, I think most of the film looks pretty good. Another disturbing thing i noticed is that the aspect ratio seems to shift when it switches back from the director's footage to the original stuff. Weird and very poor quality-control, if you ask me.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Aside from the fact that the entire movie is not Anamorphic, I can understand the lower quality of the deleted scenes. Most of the time deleted materials are not preserved as well as the feature film so I'm willing to be more forgiving. :)
Gregory

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this anamorphic version of NIXON on DVD some time ago:
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=1874
I'm actually rather glad it is not the extended version hearing that the reinserted scenes have terrible videoquality (I hated the extended cut of AoD) !
The picture quality of this french release ranges from OK - good. It also has an english DD 5.1 track.
I'd love to see another release from Disney though of this title! I still have the NTSC LD Box which features all the deletes scenes.

RyanM

Agent
Is the two-disc "solo" release available for pre-order anywhere? Additionally, is the 3/12/02 date mentioned anywhere else?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think there is no excuse for inserting deleted scenes of a different aspect ratio. That would just annoy me too much. So, I went ahead and got the original version. One day I do want to see the extended version though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks