What's new

Which version of NIXON to get? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have heard the transfer is actually worse on the Director's Cut. Which version did you like better? I have only seen the original version.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I own the version in the Oliver Stone box set. I'm not sure if it has come out to but yet seperately but it is the directors cut and yes the image is quite bad and non-anamorphic for those who care. It is though, a great 2 disc set execept the commentary track is a little screwed up IMO. Also, in the interview with Charlie Rose, Oliver Stone stats something and is bleeped out. NO it wasn't a swear, it was censorship by the unknown. So for all those people who think he's just a parnoid freak, maybe he actaully does speak some truth. Anyways, great movie, Joan Allen is perfect and of course, Hopkins was born for the role. If the 2 disc is out for sale, get it, better yet, get the box set cause Oliver Stone is one of the best directors ever IMO. Hope that helps.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I agree with what Chad said above. The two disc version included in the Oliver Stone Box set is much better than the movie-only version. I wonder why the two disc verstion has not been released outside of the box set yet. It was scheduled to be released at one point.

As for the transfer, they are both non-anamorphic and the newly added scenes are quite rough in the picture quality department. I think the additional scenes do add to the movie and the extras are really nice. Along with the Charlie Rose interview and additional Deleted Scenes it also has two commentaries with Oliver Stone. Unfortunatly there is so much blank space in the commentaries that they should have either edited them down into one or else put in some kind of scene selection to let you skip right to the parts that have commentary.

Gregory

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Where there is an oliver stone thread, greg and i are there. :)
I agree, the extras on the 2-disc set are good, yet the transfer is not very good. The "director's cut" footage looks to be directly ported from the laserdisc and is absolutely terrible! I sold my original version and now wish i had it for this reason. In short, it is a tragedy that both Nixon and Born on the Fourth of July haven't been given the transfer they deserve. That's why i made these, I can always hope!
nixoncriterion.jpg

borncriterion.jpg

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Hey Matthew! Good to have another excuse to talk about Oliver Stone and nice covers! :) So is the picture quality of the movie-only Nixon release actually better or is it the same as the Director's Cut, not including the worse looking added scenes?
Gregory

Matthew_S

Second Unit
So is the picture quality of the movie-only Nixon release actually better or is it the same as the Director's Cut, not including the worse looking added scenes?
That's a good question. I actually sold my original Nixon disc when i pre-ordered the box set so I never had them both at the same time. I remember the original disc being a little bit better, but i'm sure the difference wasn't that huge. The worst thing about the director's cut is definitely the "added in" footage, as i already said. It's pretty jarring when it switches to the director's cut scenes.
And yeah, it's good to be able to talk some stone on dvd again! :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks, Matthew, for damn near giving me a heart attack in seeing those mocked up Criterion covers. :)
Dan (UK)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I recall reading another review lately that said the original release looked slightly better than the new version - even without comparing the added footage (which looks bad).
Since I'm going to join Columbia House, I have no choice but to go with the original. :)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Dave,

You do know that the 2-disc release was never made available seperately from the Oliver Stone box set, right?

-Chad

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yep - and there's no way I'm going to spend the money on the entire Stone box set; not that I don't like some of Stone's other movies.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Gareth,
If they are intended to be Vista films, that would be terrific. But, when? There was no news for 2002, so perhaps 2003? I wish there was some rumor on these titles...if there has been, I've missed it. To not have Nixon given the proper video presentation it deserves is a damn shame.
Bruce

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Right around the time of the Oliver Stone box set release, the 2 disc Nixon DVD was scheduled to be released solo as well and there has been no information since then. I'd love to see a Vista Series with an anamorphic transfer!

Gregory

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Hello my fellow HTF'ers
Yes, I ended up getting this one separately last spring on ebay and I do not regret for one minute having gone that route. It was, to me, very well paid for. (especially since the person I won it from is here in my state as well with me!!!! :) )
Although the transfer, I admit, was a little on the inconsistent side for me, I remain mesmorized by Oliver Stone's commentary in this one: to me, it is, in my opinion, his best. And Oliver is one of my absolute favorites when it comes to director commentary. Not only does he talk about technical aspects, but he also throws some actual history into his subject as well. To me, he is NEVER boring. It seems as if we are the same wavelength for some inspirited reason. In fact, whenever I watch my Nixon Special Edition DVD, I always listen to his track A commentary. And yes, I have to admit, I would have loved to have heard more on track B. To me, there was too much dead air time there. The latter means more to me since I never, ever tire of listening to Oliver Stone speak. And for this subject matter of Nixon, I guess to hear Oliver tell it, BV came out with a disclaimer about the expressed opinions and views are those of the speakers and not necessarily those of Buena Vista...interesting. :)
However, if there ever is an anamorphic makeover for when I do eventually add my anamorphic widescreen television further down the road, I would be all for picking up an revised edition provided it retained many--if not all of--the elements of the SE itself.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just don't understand why studios "don't get it right" the second time they re-release a movie on DVD. :frowning:

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Dave, this was troubling with this title in particular since it was re-released through the Oliver Stone Box Set. Other films in the set were given new anamorphic transfers but this one wasn't. Shame. When it is given an anamorphic transfer, I will buy it again...but you shouldn't have to go through three releases to get something as common as enhancement.

Bruce

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I sold my original when I thought a separate SE release was imminent. I regret that -- been thinking about buying a used copy. I miss watching it. I LOVE this movie. I find it strangely inspirational, but I don't know why. I guess it's the way he never gives up.

The movie prompted me to read Nixon's memoirs. I'm still a die-hard Democrat, but I came away admiring the man. He had a phenomenal intellect. Buena Vista, where is our Nixon SE?!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't know exactly how much of the movie is true or based on fact, but the movie is very intriguing - no matter what your political views happen to be, or what you think of Nixon. The first time I saw this I was just glued to it; and, without a doubt, Anthony Hopkins was part of the reason - another great acting performance.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Nixon Collector's Series DVD will be available on 3/12 for $29.99. As far as I know, it'll be the same 2-disc from the box set.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, DVDFile is reporting that it will be the exact same disc and transfers as from the Oliver Stone boxed set. What a disappointment -- but at least I'll finally have the extended cut.

I guess part of what fascinates me about "Nixon" is all the info I didn't know. I was about 7 years old when Watergate broke, and I just really didn't know much about it, his firing the special prosecutor and so forth. Can you imagine if Clinton had ordered Janet Reno to fire Kenneth Starr, and when she refused, he fired HER and replaced her with another Attorney General who would fire Starr? No other political scandal -- not Enron, "Monicagate," Whitewater, Iran-Contra, or anything else -- can compare to the scandal that was Watergate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks