What's new

Which version of Clockwork Orange to buy? (1 Viewer)

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I was about to buy this but I realized I need to figure out the differences between all these Kubrick releases. Anyone know?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Get the remastered, restored version. This is stated at the top of the cover. It is the latest version.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There are three R1 choices with "Clockwork Orange".

The original release has the original mono soundtrack and an OK if unspectacular widescreen transfer that is not anamorphic.

The one with the white letters on blue stripe "Digitally Restored and Remastered" cover features a very well done 5.1 remix but no original mono track. It also sports an improved widescreen non-anamorphic video transfer, although it is not as dramatic an improvement as was seen on "The Shining" or "Barry Lyndon" only because its predecessor was not nearly as bad.

The "Limited Edition Collector's Set" includes the exact same remastered disc in addition to a CD soundtrack and assorted other gew-gaws such as a 35mm film frame and a 16 page booklet.

Regards,

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What Ken said. (Why didn't I see this thread yesterday?)

If you're an extremist when it comes to Stanley Kubrick, make sure you have both basic DVD editions. But if you're only purchasing one, the nod goes ever so slightly in favor of the remastered version. But the original mono soundtrack should have been included.

Ike

Screenwriter
Yes, if only one could have taken the first editions soundtrack and put it on the transfer from the second DVD.
If original sound mixes are a particular bother to you, get the original. The first edition's transfer is not that bad, and the new edition doesn't have anamorphic enhancement, so you aren't missing out on that side. Otherwise, get the new remastered edition. (I couldn't talk you into getting the whole set, could I? :D)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The first edition's transfer is not that bad
Yeah it is. I don't think "ACO" is the most-improved of the Kubricks, but it's a big jump. While I understand the dislike of the remix, I also feel the audio quality is vastly better for the remaster. As far as I'm concerned, there's no choice to be made here: the remaster is the only way to go...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I tend to agree with Colin. For the most part, the first version gets the important things right i.e. the colors are right and the dark and light scenes have proper contrast. It was also not as artifact-heavy as Barry Lyndon was and not as rife with print element damage and grungy looking as The Shining was. That being said, you will not have to work very hard to notice the improvement with the remaster.

If I recall my Wendy Carlos soundtrack liner notes correctly, the original mono track was constrained by the fact that some of the multitrack elements used to mix it were frequency and/or dynamic range limited with their eventual application to optical mono in mind. (The context of the liner notes was explaining why the recordings on the original soundtrack album, which were largely derived from the music tracks used to mix the movie, did not sound as good as they could have and eventually did sound on Carlos' "Complete Original Score" release.)

With this in mind, a "full-range" mono track would have required a re-mix as well. As a result, I prefer the re-mix, which was done about as carefully as these things can be done from the original dialog, music, and effects tracks, but would have liked it even better if WB could have spared the bits for a 192kbs 1.0 mono track for posterity's sake.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks