What's new

Which version of CHRISTMAS CAROL is this? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Live action, color. I'm pretty sure it was feature length but I must have seen it on TV.

Scrooge's greed is symbolized by the "debt book" he carries around with him, detailing the money everyone owes him.

At the end of the film, he tears the pages out of the book and throws them into the wind, to the cheers of the townspeople.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
It could be any version of the story:

Scrooge (1970) Musical starring Albert Finney - the townspeople start singing "Thank You Very Much" when he tears up the book.

There's the George C Scott version for tv from 1984; the 1999 tv version with Patrick Stewart (no ripping up the book in that one, AFAIR); the 1992 Muppet one with Michael Caine and of course there is a disgustingly colorized version of the 1951 definitive version with Alistair Sim.

I'd put my money on the 1970 Albert Finney one. ("Thank you very much, thank you very much, that's the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me. It may seem rather strange, but viewing his remains...")

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I can verify that it wasn't the George C. Scott version since that is one of my favorite Christmas films and I watch it several times every year. There's no book or tearing of pages in that version.

cheers,
Phil

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Mark's probably right when he says the Albert Finney version.

I've seen all those he listed except the Finney version, and I've never seen Scrooge ripping up a book in any of them.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, everyone. I know it's not the Patrick Stewart version or the Muppet version and I'm 99% sure it wasn't colorized. It looks like ALBERT FINNEY is the winner. :)

According to IMDB, the title of the film is actually "SCROOGE". Paramount released a DVD last fall for the low low price of $15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks