Which version of Battle Royale to get?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Stone, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm looking to pick this one up. I've heard that it's out on multiple R0 discs, and was wondering which one was the closest to definitive. Thx in advance...

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Assuming you need R0/1 and NTSC...

First, it should be noted that there are two versions of the film, the original theatrcal release and an extended version. For the original theatrical cut, your best bet is the R0 NTSC UK disc from Tartan. Extras are minimal, but the transfer, audio, and removable subtitles are very good. For the extended cut, your best bet is the 2-disc R0 NTSC Korean disc from Starmax (or OOP release from Cream, if you can find it, which is basically the same but without DTS). The extras on the 2nd disc aren't subtitled in English, but the itself film is. The audio and video are very good.

If you can play PAL discs, you may want the R0 UK disc of the extended cut from Tartan, which does have English subs for the extras. Even if you can play PAL discs, though, this release is more expensive than the Korean one, and so you may still want to go for the Korean release, anyway.

I own the R0 NTSC UK disc of the theatrical cut and the 2-disc R0 NTSC Korean release from Cream.

DJ

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

4. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I have the Korean 2 disk version and am very happy with it (except for the lack of subs on the extras)
    I'd recommend it, good price and good video/audio.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Kewl. Looks like I'll go for the Korean 2-discer. Any pointers on where to pick it up?

6. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I got mine from hkflix.com, I've had a very good experience ordering from them. I'm currently waiting for a 10 pack of Shaw Bros Kung Fu flicks. This is where I go for all of my import/Asian films.

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I just picked it up from YesAsia. Great prices and free shipping w/ orders over $39 [​IMG]

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    I got my copy of the Korean Cream 2-disc set from MachiavelDVD. They appear to have both the OOP Cream set ($28.08 US) and the Starmax set ($29.81 US) in stock. According to DVD Beaver's comparison, the Cream set may have more visually-pleasing subtitles, but YMMV.

DJ

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Yeah, but the Starmax version is not region coded... making it more convenient (just stick the little bastard in any standard DVD player and GO). [​IMG]

You may want to get both the Korean and UK Tartan versions also... mainly because the director (before he died) said that the theatrical (read:shorter) version, in the R0 NTSC Tartan version, is his preferred cut of the film. It's readily available at Amazon UK (make sure to get the one with the cover that says "NTSC 5.1 VERSION").

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Thx for the tips guys!

11. earl_roberts

earl_roberts Stunt Coordinator

I think that the 2-disc R2 Tartan release of the S.E version is the only one with literal subtitles!
    Read around before buying any version of the S.E.

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They all use the same script, it's just that some people are better English typists than others

14. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

I know I'm chiming in here a little late, but I got my copy of the R0/NTSC Korean 2-disc from DVD Asian for a pretty good price (around 25 shipped), and customer service was nothing short of perfect.

15. Ash Atchison

Ash Atchison Agent

The Korean (Starmax) R0 2-Disc may be the best bet in terms of bang-for-your-buck quantity (DTS, no subs extras disc), but the font used for the subs are terrible. Everything is on what might be described as "extra extra bold", and is legible, but quite distracting.

Also, I believe it uses the same translation from the Tartan R0 (which is quite good) for all of the theatrical version scenes, but apparently translated (and I use the term loosely) the new added "special edition" scenes themselves, which makes way for quite a bit of unintentional hilarity.

It's a coin toss, really.

16. RobD

RobD Second Unit

If your looking for bang for buck, I got the R3 DTS relase for about $7 from ddd house. Sound is fine but picture is a little murky, I dont generally bother watching the extras.