Which version of Alfred Hitchcock's psycho?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Jan 3, 2002.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

I have the one with the black and white cover that Columbia House has sent me...though their website shows the newer cover that matches the rest of the Hitchcock Unverisal Studio's collection (the one with the Alfred Hitchcock signatures written acrros them). Am I looking at the exact same version or should I bitch to Columbia House for sending me the older cover version?

Thanks HT fellows.

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Same disc. Different covers. I think the original cover is the better of the two. It's the one shown on Amazon.com's site.

3. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

thanks greg!

4. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Same disc, and I agree the original cover is better. Same story with Vertigo. I love my Universal Hitchcock DVDs, but I find all the cover art unimaginative and drab next to the original releases of these two.

5. RobR

RobR Second Unit

Darryl,

I got the same DVD from Columbia House, and they sent me the one with the newer Alfred Hitchcock Collection cover. I guess I don't really have a preference to either version (both look acceptable to me).

Unless you intend to get the entire Alfred Hitchcock collection (in which case it would be nicer to have the same style cover for all of them), it's no big deal.

6. Matt Everett

Matt Everett Stunt Coordinator

I much prefer the first cover.

7. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    When I got my first dvd player in October 98, PSYCHO and VERTIGO were among the first discs I got... very classy looking, both of them. So imagine my shock and horror when I saw the newer editions, with those god-awful covers. I love Universal's work on the Hitchcock dvds, but Christ! they're ugly. Ideally every dvd would feature the original theatrical poster art, but in the absence of that, they could least make 'em attractive! My God.... they're hideous, every last one of them. Good thing the discs themselves are generally excellent....

...of course, I'm still holding out for Ultimate Editions of PSYCHO and VERTIGO, with anamorphic transfers and the original poster art restored!

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I've got the best cover of all! The Laserdisc SE. It is even harder to make look right on my DVD shelf than those *#@% Anchor Bay tins, though. [​IMG]
    I have been resisting purchasing the Psycho & Vertigo DVDs since I was happy with the lasers (and Psycho has an isolated score on the laser), but the new "collection" covers are so bland that it actually made it easier to resist. The original Vertigo cover, in particular, was very cool.
    Regards,

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

double

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The cover issue is so odd - the original covers for VERTIGO and PSYCHO are still among my very favorites (and I count myself as lucky to have gotten them), but the new covers (in fact, all the Universal Hitchcock covers) are among the very worst I've ever seen. They're just terrible.