Which VCR will have better playback?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rino C, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Rino C

Rino C Agent

S-VHS VCR #1 - 2D-Y/C Mitsubishi-type enhanced comb filter, DNR, TBC

or

S-VHS VCR #2 - 3D-Y/C comb filter, DNR

I guess my question is whether having a TBC with "lower" comb filter will give better video playback than having a better comb filter without TBC. I currently have Sharp VC-S100U (VCR #2) and I was wondering whether the Mitsubishi HS-U778 (VCR #1) will give a better video. Thank you for your expert advices.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

They are for different purposes. The comb filter is for separating the luminance (B/W) and chroma (color) signals - so that just reduces some artifacts. DNR reduces noise in poor cable signals and the TBC reduces jitter from mechanical VCR signal. I'd say a 2D comb filter is good enough for its purpose and you gain a lot from the DNR and TBC features.

3. Rino C

Rino C Agent

So you are saying that 2D comb filter with DNR and TBC will be better than 3D comb filter with DNR but no TBC? Would TBC give a noticeable difference in video playback? Thanks.

P.s. I thought DNR reduced noise in all video signals that are outputted by the VCR, not just cable signal. Am I mistaken?

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yes a TBC with a VCR helps a lot, I had a JVC SVHS model with an interla TBC and it eliminates jitter. Unforunately that unit's power supply burned out last year and is too expensive to get fixed so I am using an older JVC SVHS without the TBC and I notice the quality difference! You can also buy external TBC units separately to use with an existing VCR.