What's new

Which variant is better? (1 Viewer)

Scott Sua

Auditioning
Hi, everybody. I’m a newbie and lately have a question that have been bugging me a lot. It’s better to buy a modern DVD player that can read many audio formats and to buy a quite simple amp with 6-channel inputs and then connect them analogically; OR better to buy a simple DVD player and a complex digital amp and then connect them digitally so audio digital data will be decorded inside the amp. If the 2nd variant is good, could you advise me some DVD player models that can output without downsampling the original digital data. Hope anyone could give me detailed explanation on the matter.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Scott.

Generally I'd say that having a processor/AV Receiver accept the digital data and do all the decoding, processing, amplification in one box is the better solution.

However: When the new Super Audio CD (SACD) disks came out, there was no digital standard for this so you HAD to use analog cables to an external amp/processor. I believe there is a digital connection now.

I'm going to move your post to the Audio/Video Sources fourm where the more knowedgable people hang out.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Let a good AMP handle the audio, I have a Yamaha S2300 (cost me 1300) so its a pretty high end player. It does dvd-audio and SACD two high resoluytion audio formats. for those two formats I HAVE to use the 6ch analog outputs. however for all movies with DD or DTS I use my digital output and let my receiver handle it.

there are a few simple reasons, my receiver has lots of DSP modes, as well my receiver can do DD EX and DTS ES discrete and matrix. All of which are 6.1 surround sounds (they have a rear center channel.) this is somethign even a 1300 dollar DVD player cant do.

Plus I spent about 1300 on my receiver Yamaha RX-V1300 it would be foolish for me to think that two machines at the same cost would ahve equal audio performance when one is built to play video and audio, and the other is built simply for audio.

seems a no brainer to me.

So use the analog connections for DVD-Audio and SACD. (cause you have to) and use the digital connections for your dolby digital and DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks