Which used CRT projector for under $2k.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I am going to be buying a used CRT projector very soon and have been looking a t Barco 800/801, NEC PG6/9, Sony 127X series. Not sure which to go for at the moment. I found a BG800 for a friend for $1200 that looks great even with blowing the image up to 11' wide. But I here the NEC's focusing cannot be beat so try to help me decide if you would.
    My Theater
    Wes

2. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Wes, No first hand knowledge here but heres a link to a good article on the subject. [​IMG]
    Link

3. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

6/9PG most definitely! Also, you should check out the CRT forum on AVS.

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i'd also recommend the NEC, and the CRT forum at AVS to boot!

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Ok, if I were to buy an NEC which one would be best for the money. I mean will there be much of a diff from the PG9 over the 6? And what about the Plus and the Extra I think it is?

I want the capability to do 1080I as well as 480P and I'm not to sure about having to have a HTPC to run it so it will just be a Progressive scan DVD player. Most likely at leased right off I will not have any line doubling either.

Wes

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Wes, you are going to find quite a few individuals over in the AVS CRT forum that can give you all the intricate details of these and other NEC projectors. But, you may want to start downloading documentation and have a good read. Here is a good place to start as any.
    BTW, the reason why I forwarded NEC (and the reason why I own an NEC) is because the reproduce flesh-tone the best. The color correctness, and the continual availability of NEC-manufacturered tubes, is a good situation.