What's new

Which US stores will be selling the uncut PS2 version of BMX XXX? (1 Viewer)

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
There are ESRB ratings for a reason, Sony. The MA rating should be reserved for games with adult content, and parents are fully aware of the ratings by now. There's no reason to cut anything from the game if it is given the MA rating!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo calls censoring Mortal Kombat one of their worst moves ever. That game sold a lot of systems for Sega ;)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Still looked better on the SNES though lol. Call me crazy but I could stand a little censorship if it looks better on another system.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
I dont mean to be sarcastic at your expense Dean Walsh but that statment is exactly what these so called suits selling this game want to hear. I hope for your sake and everyone else ponying up the $50 to buy this game are not dissapointed. I hope they put good gameplay in with this stunt and not just propaganda.
Well for the record that's not the only reason I'm interested in this game. I have just about every game in this genre from Tony Hawk 3 & 4 to Dave Mirra & Agressive Inline, and this happens to be one of my favourite styles of game at the moment. I'm sick of people instantly dismissing this game because of the (im)mature content saying that the game will suck without even playing it. This argument has even less grounds being that this game is developed by Z-Axis, who managed to light a fire under the ass of the Tony Hawk guys with Aggressive Inline and bring some truly fresh ideas to the format, as well as some extremely fun gameplay (Tony Hawk 4 has since taken inspiration from this title).
So yes my first post was worded poorly, but regardless I'd sooner side with the suits with the balls to release something like this than the suits that try and keep it from within my 26 year old reach.
On the other hand if it was a 3DO game that was banned I frankly wouldn't give a shit because it probably wouldn't be worth the plastic it's pressed on... in fact they would be doing us all a service by banning 3DO games. :D

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
In order for there to be a censored version of the PS2 port there has to be an uncensored version also of the PS2 port.
Wow, that is a chilling definition of censorship. As long as you keep someone from saying something or even producing it in the first place, it isn't censorship?!

-Dave

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
As long as you keep someone from saying something or even producing it in the first place, it isn't censorship?!
Sure, but no one is stopping anyone from buying whatever version of the game you want. You want a more complete version then buy the gamecube or xbox version. If you want to buy the PS2 version, there is only one option. The fact that there are other options is why I don't consider this censorship.

Just because someone requests another edit of something does not necessarily mean its censorship.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
The fact that there are other options is why I don't consider this censorship.
Then by that reasoning if an edited cut of The Exorcist plays on TV then it is not censored because you can get it on dvd... the same could be applied to a bleeped out Eminem song on the radio... that's just ridiculously flawed logic.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
But there isn't an uncut PS2 version, so there is nothing to be made available in the first place.
I never said there was an uncut PS2 version, I said there was a developer cut (or toned down) version and a regular uncut one, PS2 decided to port the cut version.
Wal-Mart sells the clean versions of CD's, By your definition that would mean that the CD is not a cencored version because its the only one they sell. Right? I dont think so. The developer makes two different versions of the CD and Wal-Mart chooses to sell the clean version.:emoji_thumbsup:

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Just playing devils advocate here:

Then by that reasoning if an edited cut of The Exorcist plays on TV then it is not censored because you can get it on dvd... the same could be applied to a bleeped out Eminem song on the radio... that's just ridiculously flawed logic.
Yup, its not 'censorship' its 'edited'. Thats why they call it the radio edit or the edited for television version. There is a difference.

An example of censorship is if someone wrote a book. The state didn't like the book for some reason and had all copies changed to remove all parts they don't like. If you are caught with an unedited version you are penalized. What if the publisher doesn't like the book and decides to remove parts of it even before it gets published (Sony, PS2 version). That is not censorship.

Its good to be against censorship, but not everything is censorship. I guess its all about scope.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Just in case there was still any doubt on this, Acclaim have issued a press release indicating that all nudity (both FMV and in-game) has been removed from the PS2 version. The irony is the PS2 version will still probably be the best-selling out of all three. C'est la vie, I'm not shedding tears for Acclaim over this one although I think Sony could stand to be a little less hard-assed.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
You guys are amazing trying to say whats edited and whats not, whats censorship and whats not. My god there are two versions of the game, The one with nudity and the one with out. Thats it! Call it what you want to but those are the facts. Now the question is do you want a censored version of the game or the full nudity version.

Me im not bothering with this game. let me know how it is, honestly I dont care if its great or not.

Hers a definition for you.

Censored:
2 : one who supervises conduct and morals: as a : an official who examines materials (as publications or films) for objectionable matter b : an official (as in time of war) who reads communications (as letters) and deletes material considered sensitive or harmful

Censoring:
: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable.

Does this clear anything up?

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Yup, its not 'censorship' its 'edited'. Thats why they call it the radio edit or the edited for television version. There is a difference.
Sorry, that just not the same situation. Songs and TV movies are edited because they broadcast to the general public. They don't know who is watching/listening.

BMX XXX is not the same. Someone has to actually go out and individually purchase the game. And here is the big difference...it has a rating! Yes, the rating system is in place so this censoring doesn't have to take place. But, no, Sony has decided to censor it anyway from the final version that the developers had planned to release...yes, the version that will apparently make it to the XBOX and GC. Clearly a totally different situation.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Actually for the subject of this thread (the ps2 version) there are not 2 versions...there is only 1.
That is just such a weak explanation to excuse censorship. The developers made ONE version of the game to be released on ALL systems. Sony said they wouldn't allow it. Thus, they had to CENSOR the game for the PS2. It's blatantly obvious.

So just how would you define censorship??? If there were 2 versions available then it WOULD NOT be censorship since both versions would be available to the PS2 fan base. You would have the normal version and the edited version. You have it totally back wards.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Actually for the subject of this thread (the ps2 version) there are not 2 versions...there is only 1.
Actually, 2 PS2 versions WILL be available. In Europe, SCEE are NOT requiring Acclaim to take out the T&A, according to C&VG.

Surely you'll admit that the US PS2 version is censored now, naysayers?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I guess that means that since there are two versions in Europe, it is censored there, but not in the U.S.

-Dave

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Actually for the subject of this thread
The topic of this thread is which US stores will be selling the uncut version of the game. There isnt an uncut version available for the PS2, So the first response answered this question. Then the question came up what is censorship hence the rest of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks