What's new

Which Upconverting Receiver Should I Get? DENON VS. PIONEER (1 Viewer)

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
I want to get a quality receiver that upconverts video.

I have only come up with two receivers in the 1000-2000 dollar price range that do video upconversion.

1. Denon [AVR-4306] 7.1 CH Home Theater/MultiMedia A/V Receiver ($2000)
- 130 Watts per channel
- .05 THD
- 40.8 lbs
- 3 HDMI
- Auto Setup Calibration
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/2243.asp

2. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi ($1500)
- 140 Watts per channel
- .09 THD
- THX Select 2
- 35.5 lbs
- 4 HDMI inputs
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent

To me it seems like I should go with the Elite because it has an extra HDMI output, 10 more watts per channel, THX certification, and is 500 dollars cheaper.

Does anyone want to play devils advocate?

Thanks guys

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
You also may want to double check the HDMI devices you want to input into the receiver(s). HDMI still has some compatability issues.

Mort

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Both are excellent receivers, though neither does a great job upconverting video. For your budget I would purchase:

Denon AVR-3806: $1,299 (includes video conversion analog to HDMI)
Denon DVD-2930CI: $849

(the two can be found for well under $2,000)

The new DVD-2930 is a outstanding DVD player, and will provide far superior picture quality than any upconverting receiver in your price range. Review here:

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...dvd2930ci.html

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm affraid the title of my thread narrowed the focus too much on the upconverting aspect. While I am especially interested in the upconverting feature, ultimately I am looking for the best receiver in a similar price range.

I also don't want to buy an upconverting DVD player because I am interested in investing in Blu Ray soon, whether it be the PS3 or a player and I am assuming these machines will do upconversion from DVDs.

Also upconverting non HD channels on TV also seems like it could be a good thing that a receiver could accomplish.

Alon, the 3806 is certainly an option as well. The video conversion from analog to HDMI is not upconversion correct? And why do you think the Denon 3806 is a better deal than the Pioneer VSX-84TXSi?

As for compatibility, right now I would be running my cable HDMI and soon the bluray will also be using HDMI. Whether incompatibility is an issue or not it would probably be a good thing to have a receiver that supports HDMI than one that does not correct?

Thanks for the help so far

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Also be sure to watch for the new Yamaha RX-V2700 (140Wx7; SRP $1,699.95), available this month: http://www.audioholics.com/news/pres...00receiver.php

Personally, I have a preference towards Denon, Marantz, or Rotel receivers. The AVR-3806 is a brilliant receiver. I would also audition the Rotel RSX-1057 (HDMI switching, 1080p, brilliant audio quality).

As for future compatibility, the receivers you are looking at are all HDMI 1.1 or 1.2a compliant. The upcoming PS3 is HDMI 1.3 compliant. We're not likely to see any HDMI 1.3 receivers until next Spring, so its a tricky time to purchase a new receiver.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

Maybe.....since HDMI is an evolving standard, either receiver may or may not have issues even passing a straight through signal from the input device to the display. Within eithers own line of products you might not run into this but I've read about troubles trying to get mis-matched manufactured gear working well together over HDMI (again at this time).

Your only real way to be certain that the implementation of HDMI in your chosen receiver is going to work is if there is a firmware upgrade path offered by Denon or Pioneer for future versions of HDMI.

IIRC, there's another thread regarding someone unable to get an OPPO DVD player to work with a Dell PDP over HDMI in a straight through connection...ie DVD to display....due to HDMI issues. Just a heads up.

Mort

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
So if a receiver is HDMI 1.1 and a PS3 is HDMI 1.3 they will not work together? Or they might not work together?

Another question...can T.V.s be HDMI 1.1 or 1.3 as well? Because I have a Samsung HL-S5688W. Assuming the TV is 1.1 compliant (I an not sure what it is or know how to find out) I need a receiver that is 1.1 compliant but then I can't use a PS3 that is 1.3 compliant? I am sure you guys see where my confusion lies haha.

Alon- Im going to check out the Yamaha as well.

Thanks for all of the help and quick replies so far guys

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
That was a very useful article. Seems like I should not be worrying to much at all about whether my components will work with HDMI or not....

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The Denon has an 8 channel analog input (not sure about the Pioneer) which will be needed for the new sound formats (until HDMI 1.3 sees the light of day). The Denon also has Audyssey MultEq (outstanding feature), an ipod jack, XM radio built in, and ethernet. I have two Denon receivers (3805s) and couldn't be happier.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That electroluminescent remote the Denon has would be a deal breaker for me, I think. I’ve heard those things really munch the batteries. Plus I’d be afraid the screen would break if it ever got dropped.

By the way, when you guys say they don’t upconvert well, are you talking generally, or HDMI specifically? IOW, is upconversion to say, component video bad, too?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Wayne - why would the remote control be a deal breaker? Go pick yourself up a Logitech Harmony 880, you'll never look back :)

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
Are there any receivers that are out now that I could somehow update to HDMI 1.3 eventually?

When I first started looking at a new receiver I thought I knew some of the features that I should be concerned about (watts, hdmi inputs, THD, THX certification) but it seems as though companys lie about the watts, many guys on the forum dont even use HDMI or it is changing so quickly it is senseless to invest in it, you cant compare THD values of different brands, and THX is just a certification.

A question I have about THX is why is it that some of the less expensive Denon's are not certified but the more expensive ones are? Did they not pass the certification or did they not go for it? It just seems inconsistent to me.

So what kind of qualifications do you guys look for? Just go by what company you like?

Thanks for all your help so far Im getting closer to picking a receiver!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

My guess would be cost. It costs to have that certification. At a certain price point people may expect it (their high end receiver is $7K), but at other price points to be competitive they can't afford to have the certification. I have two 3805s (last years model of the 3806) and I am very happy and don't miss having a THX certification at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks