What's new

which type of speakers (1 Viewer)

aaronSR

Auditioning
Real Name
aaron
i was wondering what every one would reccomened for speakers for my garage i was thinking 2 speakers indoors and 2 outdoors the building is 40' by 60' , all open???
Any reccomendations would be great
thx aaron

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I would search some of the online speaker companies B-Stock lists and get something from there. Save a bit but might have like a ding or something minor cosmetically wrong with it. Try av123.com or axiom.com and search around there are a few more out there.

aaronSR

Auditioning
Real Name
aaron
ok thx mike , how about the wiring for the speakers? do they need to be home runs or can i daisy chain them together , i would like to turn the out side speakers off with the rest of the speakers on.
thx aaron

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Are you saying you want to power your garage speakers from your home receiver? If so all you will need is a switch box which you can get at radio shack very cheap. Just run you home set into the back of the box then run you garage speakers into the back of the box then run the box into your receiver. Its pretty simple really its just you will have to switch the box each time you want to change. They do make remote controlled switch boxes which if you had a learning remote you could program that into it so you could be anywhere in the house and change which speakers you want to use but they are fairly expensive for a switch box.

aaronSR

Auditioning
Real Name
aaron
hey mike, no i was planning on buying another receiver for the garage and using that. But i would like to be able to turn certain speakers on and off , so does each speaker need to be a home run to the receiver?
thx aaron

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
it could go either way aaron. as mike suggested you could get a speaker switch from R S. or you could run wire straight to the reciever. if wire cost is an issue go to Home depot/lowes and get some "normal" 14 ga wire on the cheap!!

wait were you talking about turning a pair of speakers off or just like on in particular?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you are going to use a seperate reciever in the garage and use one pair in the garage and one pair outside. I would run the wires straight to the reciever and hook one pair to speaker a and the other to speaker b. If your reciever will not let you do this then I would go to radio shack and buy a A/B switch for your speakers. That way you can have control over what set of speakers is on and what ones are off.

aaronSR

Auditioning
Real Name
aaron
okay yeah that is exactly what i want to do Dave Moritz, i would like to be able to turn the out side set of speakers off when not in use , such as winter time and others.. So it would be best to run one home run to one of the out side speakers and then daisy chain that one , and than run another home run from the reciever to other 2nd set of indoor speaker, and than daisy chain the 2nd indoor speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks