Which type of banana plugs are the best?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AnthonyT, Aug 28, 2001.

1. AnthonyT

AnthonyT Auditioning

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

3. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Tim-
    How do the AR plugs hold the wire? Are they the screw type? Also, how do they compare to the Radio Shack plugs (which are double the price).
    Thanks,
    Allan

4. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

The radio shack plugs are identical to the AR plugs, just more money.
    I also have used the dayton plugs with the set screw and like them.
    I don't like compression type plugs, like in your link.

5. Avi

Avi Auditioning

I've tried a bunch of different types, and I think the AR ones are the best by a large margin. I'm not sure whether they're compression or screw type - you thread the wire through the bottom half, spread it out a bit over the lip, then screw the top half down, which compresses the wire and makes a solid connection. It's easy and impossible to shake loose.
    -avi

6. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I use the ones from Radio Shack (search on part number 278-306) and love them.
    The AR plugs listed in the link above are $8.79 for two pair (MSRP $11.99) with a $4.95 minimum shipping charge, which comes out to $13.74. The Radio Shack 278-306 plugs are $5.99 per pair, which is still less with tax for two pair.
    David

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

8. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Tim: the page you posted has an error. Even though it's listed as banana "plug", the AR page pasted in says banana "pins" and the photo is of "pins". The pins are made for the cheap spring-loaded speaker connectors, not for the heavy, binding post/banana jacks. I have used the Radio Shack equivalent of those pins and the worked well.
    Anthony: I was going to point you to those individual Radio Shack banana plugs also if you want individual plugs. What I use is the premium R.S. dual banana plugs - two plugs molded into a plastic body. If your jacks have standard spacing, the dual plug fits. The advantage I see is that since the plugs are permanently spaced apart, there is no danger of accidentally touching them together on the speaker end and shorting out your power amp output.
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

9. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

The AR ones are almost exactly like the RS ones (but have an AR label instead) and can be found at Lowes for $12 for 2 sets, the same price for 2 pairs from RS.
    I use these and they seem to work just fine.
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
    My DVD Profiler Collection

10. Mike Breeden

Mike Breeden Agent

Has anyone used the angled connectors? The reason that I ask is that I just purchased 12g wire and the angle of the speaker connectors puts stain on cable and connectors.
    Any help would be great
    Mike

11. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I don't use either. I now use these "under the counter ones" that my dealer uses on all the demos. I haven't seen them on the net, nor do the have a brand name on them. The are gold plated and a hollow tube in which the wire (10 gauge or smaller) fit in the back and a tiny, and I mean tiny screw from the side screw in to hold and made the connection.
    the end , like I said is a hollow tube, and a small pin pops up at the base and returns inside by the end.
    If anyone has pictures it would help...cause I don't.
    But, I did hear a sonic difference in clarity and a slightly wider soundstage with them, over the AR standard gold bananas that I had before.
    They were 5.00 CAN a piece, so it got a little expensive for a mid budget system.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

12. erik bush

erik bush Agent

i picked up some Niles banana plugs from hifi buys. 10/pair. they screw in pretty securely at a right angle to the plug itself. i looked on their website but i don't see them listed.
    ~erik
    ------------------
    my dvd list
    "what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

13. Brian Corr

If you heard a difference changing banana's, then I would venture to say you had a bad connection previosuly. Going from one gold plated banana to another should not alter the sound if they are making a solid contact.
    Also, the AR banana's can be found at Lowe's.

14. AnthonyT

AnthonyT Auditioning

Thanks for the great replies.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

16. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Hank - The link works fine for me and apparently for others here as well.
    I've never seen the RS banana plugs, but they do look very similar to the AR ones. The AR plugs are compression and I use them on all of my speaker wire. Highly recommended! [​IMG]

17. AnthonyT

AnthonyT Auditioning

18. Brian Corr

Sure, one had IXOS on them and the other's don't.
    Seriously, I have used the dayton plugs and the quality is the same as any other banana I have seen.
    The best prices I have found are here: http://www.amabilidade.f2s.com/banana2.htm
    I think it is a manufacturer or something. Min. seems to be 100 pcs but at the prices you can't go wrong. (less than .50 a plug)