Which type front projector gives the best picture quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark.D, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

I was planning on buying a Sharp 9000 DLP projector... some said to wait a little while because the new InFocus projector has some sort of special "Fuji" chip that the Sharp doesnt have?

I'm looking to spend about $10,000 for a decent projector...

I was talking with a friend the other day who told me that for "Picture Quality" he thought that the CRT projectors were the best...

So, what type of projector gives the best picture quality?

1. Regardless of price
    2. Price range of about $10,000

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would tend to agree with your friend although the new generation of DLP's should be pretty darned close, certainly.

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

My understanding is the CRT projector has the best picture quality, but they are pricey ($10,000 is barely enough toget in the ground floor) and they are high maintenance.

I boutght a DLP.

For either of these picture quality will be very dependent on the screen you chose also.

4. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

Wow! For 10,000 dollars your not going to get a decent one. It's going to be pretty darn magnificent or at least by my standards. You could check out hammerhead technologies where I got mine. You could also check the sales area at AVS forum. I think you could get a nice used 9" CRT which is the A+ of Data Grade pj's for that amount but I'm not for sure. CRT is excellent and is an excellent value. I have a Nec 6PG Plus (6100) and it's very nice. Let us know what you end up with.

5. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

Thanks for the replies,

I like the DLP's because of price and because generally speaking they're smaller and look more high tech than the big old RBG bulbs...

I'll probably go with a DLP...

As for the $$$ issue, I'm looking to spend about $10,000 grand for a projector, about $15,000 for AV equipment (including a stewart screen), another $12,000 for theater seating, and that leaves about $13,000 for construction.

A $50K total HT package deal... I just want to write a big 'ol check and tell me when I can watch Star Wars.

No, my wife and I arent extremely wealthy... we're moving to N. Georgia next week... her daddy has an apartment that he's gonna let us live in as long as we want. Once our house sells in Augusta, we're gonna bank the house payment and some other savings for a couple years to save for the fun stuff when we build our new home. Our goal is to save about 100K in 3 years.

My HT dreams are still a few years off, but researching all the AV stuff and construction I find as addicting as I probably will find enjoying the HT.

M.

6. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

Besides, up in the mountains... there isnt much to do except drink, have sex, or watch TV.

My wife and I dont drink as Christians and a 50K HT will definitely be cheaper than kids!

LOL,
    M.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  8. Gary_Sc

Gary_Sc Agent

The Infocus does not do 1080p natively. It may take a 1080p signal but it will be down rez'd to 720p (which is the projector's native ability). There is currently no DLP projector with a 1920x1080 chip. Currently the only way to get 1080p natively is with a 9" CRT projector or a very expensive LCOS projector (although Toshiba is offering a LCOS based 1080p RPTV).

Just an FYI...You can get a Marquee 9500 (9" CRT) for around $10k refurbed with new CRT's.

9. David Devaux

David Devaux Agent

since when don't christians drink? don't they serve wine at church?

10. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

11. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Well, if you buy a CRT, you'll need a scaler. The scaler you pair with a CRT is just as important as the CRT. You can get a 9" CRT for $10k, but that's for just the projector. Unless you can devote another $3k - $4k to a scaler, you'll only be halfway there.

Total package (minus screen) for $10k, I'd get a really good Liquid Coupled 8" CRT and a scaler that handles Hi-Def. An NEC XG135LC (1352) or a Sony G70 can be had in mint or near mint condition for between $6 - $7k. Pair that with the upcoming Asimilator or HD-Leeza (both list for $4K, but I'm sure you will be able to get one for less than that) and you'll be in business. Both scalers will handle hi-def signals so you can run at one scan rate. If you can find a single source for all of this you might be able to get a screen as well. Of course, there are people making digital input cards for the Marguee 9500's...

12. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

13. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

There's also the upcoming JVC DLA-SX21.

1400x1050 native resolution
    1500 ANSI lumens
    3 Panel D-ILA (no rainbows, no problems with reds & greens, >93% fill ratio compared with 88% for DLP)
    800:1 contrast
    MSRP: $9995

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Gabriel, that is the model JVC I was trying to remember and could not, thanks.

15. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

If you want a flat screen and are willing to limit screen size to 7-8' wide, the obvious choice is CRT. For $10,000 you can get a Marquee 9500LC with fresh 9" tubes.

I auditioned the Sony 11HT and found it unwatchable due to screen door when I sat close enough to achieve theatrical sale. Both the Sharp 9000 and Seleco DLPs looked OK (not quite as good as a CRT - the dark details just aren't there) but gave me headaches so I decided to pass on digital.

16. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

Thanks for the replies folks...

Not to turn this into church chat, but let me enlighten y'all a bit...

True, consuming Alcohol is a sin... whether you're saved or not... doesnt matter if your a Christian, Atheist, Hindu or whatever... Anyone can become an alcoholic.

As for wine in church... its grape juice dudes! Any church that serves real alcoholic fermented wine is Wrong Wrong Wrong.

Yes, it says in the bible that Jesus drank wine... in fact, he even made wine out of plain water at the wedding feast!

BUT and this is a big BUT! It was NOT fermented wine... it was basically grape juice. See, they used to boil grape juice down and make it into a jelly/jam that was stored in wineskins... when they wanted wine, they mixed it with water... sort of an old fashioned koolaid?

Anyway, it goes without saying that the best wine was freshly pulverized grapes into grape juice.. that's why at the wedding feast when they ran out of wine, Jesus not only turned ordinary water into wine, he didnt make the reconstituted wine... he turned water into freshly squeezed wine!

How do I know this? I've been blessed enough to have a attended a church headed by a pastor with a wealth of biblical historical knowledge who is learned in the ancient greek translation of the bible that makes a clear distinction between fermented alcoholic wine and grape juice...

Thanks for listening and God Bless,
    Mark Ducati

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Folks, [​IMG] can we get poor Mark's thread back on track.
    Just a note... If you decide to go digital and picture quality is indeed important to you, then you would be wise to factor in a decent screen to go with it. Personally, I like the Firehawks from Stewart although there are many to chosoe from. They will enhance the picture quality, give you deeper blacks, and won't reflect as much ambient light from the room as your typical screen.

18. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

Thanks Neil, sorry for getting off track...

I think you recommended the FireHawk screen too a while back?

I was looking at projectors the other day... when the Sharp XVU9000 came out it listed for $12,999. My Uncle bought one last year for $9999. The best price on-line I found until yesterday was $7500. Now I see that the same company that had it for 7.5 lowered the price to $6999.

I guess that's because the new Sharp XVU10000 came out, which incidently lists for $10,000.

The Infocus 7200 also sells for about $10,000, and that's the one with the TI chip and the Fourjarda(sp?) chip.

Man, there's no telling what will be on the Market in about 3 years when I finally purchase all my equipment! I'm looking forward to it, and even if I buy "last years models" imagine the savings I could get?

Thanks for the replies,
    Mark

19. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

If you want to be consistent with your original question, then you can't possibly pick digital over CRT. If the best picture quality is your main concern then CRT is a no-brainer.

20. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

From what I've read the Firehawk screen is intended specifically for DLP projetors, particularly the bright ones. It is low gain and grey, trading some of the light output for higher dark color contrast.

If you go the high maintenance rout of a CRT then you may want to reconsider the firehawk. Since I don't have A CRT I can't suggest a screen.

I can say that the light conditions will have as much to do w your picture as the projector. You may want to ask for samples first. Stewart and Dalite are more than willing to provide.

I'm note sure, but I think w' a CRT projector in a dark room you want high gain and white...? Any screen guru's want to chime in?