What's new

Which TVs display closed captions on DVDs through Component inputs? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Simple question- I'm still searching for a new HDTV, but one issue I've ran into is compatibility with closed captions on DVDs. I know that the old-style TV-decoded closed-captions (not to be confused with the player-generated subtitles- many discs have both, some have just one or the other) do NOT work through HDMI. I've seen them work through the Component Video connection on a friend's Vizio LCD TV, but just played with a Mitsubishi DLP at a store today and they did NOT display through the Component inputs, they only did through S-Video.

If anyone with a current HDTV has the time, I'd appreciate if you would just check a captioned DVD though the component inputs and see if they display or not, and let me know what brand of TV you have. Thanks in advance for your answers. If that's too much trouble, or if you don't understand what I'm asking, then just don't answer and sorry for wasting your time reading this!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It may be that nobody knows of such a set, Jesse.

I'm mildly surprised to hear that your friend's Vizio could do closed captions via the component inputs. I have a JVC LCoS RPTV and was very surprised to find out that it didn't display CC on the HDMI or component inputs. When I called JVC to get help with this "problem" I was told matter-of-factly that CC information was not available except when using the composite or s-video connections. I was left with the impression that there was something inherent in the HDMI and component connections that prevented CC data from being transmitted.

In any case, I haven't encountered an HD set that can display CC text when connected via HDMI or component and I am also annoyed by this. Wish I had better news to report.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks