What's new

Which TV types are NOT affected by speaker magnets? (1 Viewer)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to the day when I can buy a widescreen TV, but when that happens I'll probably need to have my main speakers close to the set. Are rear projection sets affected by magnetic interference?

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris,
Probably best to have shielded speakers. You don't want to have to design your hometheater around the speakers. :)
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Thanks... but I already have the speakers, which I am not giving up. Are you saying that ALL TV types are affected by magnetic fields?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
TVs that don't use CRTs, like plasma, D-ILA and DLP won't be affected by magnets.
Rear projection sets are affected, but not permanently like a direct-view set is. Ideally, what you want to do is adjust the geometry/convergence when the TV is in it's usual environment (with the speakers next to it).
I should note that due to the placement of the CRTs within a projection TVs cabinet (in the middle), it's pretty unusual for the speakers to be a problem.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics
[Edited last by JohnnyG on October 11, 2001 at 02:31 PM]
[Edited last by JohnnyG on October 11, 2001 at 02:37 PM]

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris,
Hopefully, your speakers won't impact the image enough that you'd have to do service mode adjustments.
frown.gif

If so, you can do that or do a degauss.
You can also try fp since the crts will be on the ceiling and away from the speakers.
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks