What's new

Which TV series previous released on DVD would you like to see released on blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
At the risk of everyone snickering at me the 60s brightly colored The Flying Nun despite its bewildering inanity simply for all the lush location photography of what I assume is a lost era Puerto Rican beauty. Kind of like certain Elvis movies and a film like Come September because they have a travelogue element which depicts a time before heavy commercial travel.

The Screen Gems shows could look spectacular on Blu-ray. I'd gladly spring for 4x3 HD remasters of Bewitched & I Dream of Jeannie as long as the B&W episodes were presented as such. I wonder how many original sponsor openings/closings can still be reconstructed as they did with I Love Lucy.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
The Honeymooners have a beautiful bluray set
The Monkees tv show is on blu
Monty Python flying circus just got a blu ,(Its amazing for how it was recorded)

Six million dollar man in Germany (not sure if it's English friendly )

I wonder if CBS will release Dick van Dyke with that older set being OOP . Maybe on a better codec then VC-1 .

I would love ...
I Dream of Jeanie
Get Smart ,
Starsky and Hutch
The Odd Couple (some on Hulu are in HD)
Happy Days seasons with Ron Howard .
Most of all ...The Three Stooges 190 shorts .

I'm staying away from my wants for shows that were video taped and not shot on film . I would love them to be but many people hate the idea of re-buying them and say no benefit . So that alone ruins it for most who would like to get rid of giant dvds sets . And with today's technology they can be made to look better even if they were video taped but its a hard sell .

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
How about shockingly “The Orville”, which is about to release season 2 on DVD only, as it did season 1. Both seasons of course were in HD.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Not a TV series per se, but a special... Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rankin/Bass), referring to the very first airing on NBC December 6, 1964. It had the "Peppermint Mine" scene, which was removed from all future broadcasts.

What I would hope for is a complete restoration of the original December 6, 1964 cut of this special!

~Ben

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The Honeymooners have a beautiful bluray set
The Monkees tv show is on blu
Monty Python flying circus just got a blu ,(Its amazing for how it was recorded)

Six million dollar man in Germany (not sure if it's English friendly )

I wonder if CBS will release Dick van Dyke with that older set being OOP . Maybe on a better codec then VC-1 .

I would love ...
I Dream of Jeanie
Get Smart ,
Starsky and Hutch
The Odd Couple (some on Hulu are in HD)
Happy Days seasons with Ron Howard .
Most of all ...The Three Stooges 190 shorts .

I'm staying away from my wants for shows that were video taped and not shot on film . I would love them to be but many people hate the idea of re-buying them and say no benefit . So that alone ruins it for most who would like to get rid of giant dvds sets . And with today's technology they can be made to look better even if they were video taped but its a hard sell .
You're right about The Honeymooners. It looks fantastic on blu ray.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Can't really say that TV on blu-ray upgrades matter to me. It's a rare TV show where DVD isn't enough. I'd rather see some of these shows people always ask for get released, such as One Step Beyond, 12 O'Clock High, completion of Amazing Stories and The Defenders, and finally my heart's desire, a complete series of St. Elsewhere.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Can't really say that TV on blu-ray upgrades matter to me. It's a rare TV show where DVD isn't enough. I'd rather see some of these shows people always ask for get released, such as One Step Beyond, 12 O'Clock High, completion of Amazing Stories and The Defenders, and finally my heart's desire, a complete series of St. Elsewhere.

I'm mostly the same way, but I do enjoy upgrading or thinking about the potential of upgrading if substandard video masters were used for the original DVD releases.

Then there's some shows I love so much that even if I found the DVD's entirely satisfactory, I'm still going to want the best experience. The Dick Van Dyke Show is a prime example.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Then there's some shows I love so much that even if I found the DVD's entirely satisfactory, I'm still going to want the best experience. The Dick Van Dyke Show is a prime example.

So is The Streets of San Francisco for me (also Hart to Hart)!

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi Dana,

As for your request for a Blu-ray release of The Adventures of Superman...probably never going to happen. It hasn't even been released in HD.
Warner Brothers states that the elements they used for the DVD release several years ago, are the best they have. I tend to doubt this as WB was notoriously cheap with this DVD release on many counts and they most likely didn't really search their archives too thoroughly. They were just looking for a quick buck "one and done" issue with this series.

John

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Not a TV series per se, but a special... Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rankin/Bass), referring to the very first airing on NBC December 6, 1964. It had the "Peppermint Mine" scene, which was removed from all future broadcasts.

What I would hope for is a complete restoration of the original December 6, 1964 cut of this special!

~Ben
That scene is on the 2018 Classic Media BD. It adds the misfit toys closing credits.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
A restored Rudolph with seamless branching of the NBC and CBS cuts would be a day-one purchase for me. Is that even technically possible with the film elements that exist?

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd love to see a similar option for 'A Charlie Brown Christmas'. Just like Rudolph, lots of changes happened after the initial airing (Although it's usually the Coca-Cola sponsorship that gets recognized). Would be nice to be able to view a high quality copy of the original broadcast.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Columbo, Emergency and The Fugitive (and these should all have existing HD masters).

Route 66 - not sure about the condition of original elements.

The rest of I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show (at least through the B/W years).
Actually the complete Columbo series has been available in a boxed set on bluray in Japan for several years. Only problem is that the menus are in Japanese.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks