1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which TV out of these is better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Sony 38" Direct View TV: http://www.sony-ae.com/television/kves38_sp.htm
    Panasonic 43" Rear Projection TV: http://www.panasonic.com.sg/consumer...product_id=447
    Neither TVs are HDTVs but both TVs do support progressive scan. BTW, I want to get a 4:3 TV because I do a lot of console gaming and most games are still 4:3.
    So, I would like to know which TV do you think will provide better picture quality for DVD movies and Xbox games.
    BTW, please base your answer solely on which TV provides better picture quality, not screen size, weight, etc.

2. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

Direct view sets are almost always going to provide a better picture than an RPTV.

I don't recommend that anyone buy a 4:3 television anymore. If you play video games then the black bars will be on the sides, that's all. You give up too much on DVD's by not having a widescreen set.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

A 4:3 set with vertical compression (I know the sony has it, and I assume the Panasonic does too) will give you the benefit of a widescreen TV for 16:9 enhanced games and DVDs. Tube TVs are eaier to tweak yourself, RPTVs ideally need an ISF calibration ($300-$500 USD) to shine. Depending on your room set-up, RPTVs are also affected more by ambient light.

The Sony sounds good to me.

4. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Thanks.
    I guess it will be the Sony then. [​IMG]