Which TV for $3000 CDN?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryNS, May 2, 2002.

1. BarryNS

BarryNS Stunt Coordinator

I have a budget of about $3K CDN (approx $2K USD) to use on finally getting a decent "big" TV to replace my aging Mits 27 inch direct view.

My main uses with viewing from about 8-10 feet from the screen:

50%-70% anamorphic DVD viewing - not currently using a progressive scan player but that is an upgrade option I'd be willing to undertake.

some "casual" satellite viewing (non-HDTV for now, waiting for HDTV receiver price drop) of 4:3 material, mostly music video channels and primetime fare.

Any suggestions? ideally an HDTV capable set would be the ticket for future proofing and something in about the 50 inch range.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    You can get the Toshiba 50H81 for $3199 at most places right now(Futureshop etc..). This would be a good set I think. It is the one that I am probably going to buy at the end of the summer.

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well I want to add my two cents, the Toshiba Cinema series HDTV ready 36" set is absolutely amazing, for the cost (with a little barganing you should be able to get it for around 3000 tax in) I realzie it is a bit smaller than what you want but the picture quality on it is totally worth the smaller size.
    Quality over qunatity, thats why its CRT for me [​IMG]

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

5. Chris_MJ

Chris_MJ Agent

I was in a Future Shop in Toronto and they had the Toshiba 42h81 for $3099. Does this mean the 50h81 is only $100 more?

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Chris: Amazingly, Yes