What's new

which to use? tv or avr (1 Viewer)

rwrod

Auditioning
Real Name
walter baisden
Hello. I just had a 92 inch MIT deliver. First big screen in 10yrs to replace a 65 inch. The guy who set it up said to use the tv as the switch to change between inputs. Said it was better and less signal loss. To just use the AVR for sound only. On my old system I use the AVR to switch. Which is better?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That guy is an idiot.
You can use the TV for your switch if you are happy with everything being in 2.0 and you like DPL and don't care to ever use DD, DTS, DTS HD-MA or Dolby True HD. (probably missed a few)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There's nothing wrong with using the display to switch the video, but having the receiver do it while it's also switching the audio is much easier. I think it's been proven that running the video through current avr's doesn't effect the video quality one bit. If you have an older pre-hdmi receiver and a bluray player then it might be better to run the video from the BR player straight to the display with hdmi. Otherwise, plug everything into the receiver and let the avr (audio/video receiver :) ) do it. HDMI is better for video then component.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Remember its not just about switching, its about processing also. It depends on your video processor and implementation in your gear on which will give you the best performance. My Sherwood AVR has the highly-touted REON video processor but the implementation seems poor as using it seems to lower my picture quality (and yeah Ive tweaked it for hours). So I use bypass in the AVR and let either the source or projector do the processing. While you might want to use your AVR as a switcher you might NOT want to use it as a video processor and depending on your AVR there may not be a way to bypass a mediocre video processor. I would check both ways and see if it makes a diff in PQ before deciding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks