which to build/buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by zane, Nov 11, 2002.

1. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

i'm thinking of building or buying one of the following

a 12" Titanic in the 3.0ft^3 box with a 250 plate amp
    a 12" shiva in a smaller 1.0-2.0ft^3 box with 250w
    a 15" tempes in about a 3.0ft^3 box with 250w
    or a svs base model i believe 25-31 running 500 watt bash amp

how would the three compare in all aspects of bass production, which would you pick for best bang for the buck

2. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

by the way all the boxes listed would be sealed enclosures, I'm thinking of a sealed enclosure to reduce size and give the bass a tighter sound although I am aware the svs sub is ported

3. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

i think i've decided to go with the medium sized enclosure for the tempest run with 250watts, is there a difference in quality between the adire ava-250 and the partsexpress 250watt plate amp

4. Ted_Polzin

Ted_Polzin Stunt Coordinator

If you want sealed you will probally want to consider a Linkwitz Transform circuit.

Ted

5. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

i think i'm going to use the mid Q design called the butterworth design with a Q of .707 i dont think i'll need the transform since adire designed the enclosure so it must work pretty damn well, could someone tell me if there is a quality difference with the two amps i listed above

6. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

i think i'm going to use the mid Q design called the butterworth design with a Q of .707 i dont think i'll need the transform since adire designed the enclosure so it must work pretty damn well, could someone tell me if there is a quality difference with the two amps i listed above

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Zane,

The amps are virtually identical. Adire has modified the rumble filter and added a crossover bypass switch. The rumble filter shouldn't be much of an issue if going sealed and the bypass switch is an added bonus, but not necessary. So it's really a matter of whether you want to spend the extra money on the AVA250 or just get the PE 300-794.

8. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

if i'm thinking right a crossover bypass would simply run the sub full range? correct? which you wouldn't need in a sub amp anyway. is it worth $50 for a rumble filter?

9. Mel Silva

Mel Silva Agent

Zane,
    Having gone through this whole line of thinking myself, I just ordered the PE 300-794 with the intention of modifying the pre-amp to match the EQ settings of the AVA250. The Users manual for the 300-794 has a list of R values to change and where they change the Fc and the Filter Q. The AVA250 lists 1dB of boost at about 30Hz with an Fc of 18Hz. To approximate this, I am changing the values of R26 and R27 from 56K and 120K to 47K and 180K respectively. I have been assured by others on the forum that I will enjoy the results and save the more than $50 (the 300-794 is on sale right now) for use elsewhere in my system.
    BTW, I m building the Shiva Vented 142.5L EBS Alignment sub. See this thread
    Mel