What's new

Which technology doesn't benefit from an ISF calibration? (1 Viewer)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I know it sounds like a strange question. But I'm moving up north in Québec, and it will we be impossible to have my set ISF calibrated (can you say 8 hours up north from Montréal?)

That's bothering me alot, because my Tosh 65HDX82 became incredible after an ISF calibration 5 months ago. But I already sold it to a friend (building a new dedicated HT from scratch).

So, is there a technology out there that would'nt benefit from an ISF calibration? LCD? LCoS? DLP? Plasma?

There is no price limit. I'm thinking of the new Sony 34XBR910, but it's really too small (dedicated HT will be around 24'x16', so will be sitting at 12-15 feets from the set). I'm considering the new Tosh LCoS 65HXL83.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Name a technology that is fully calibrated out of the box ... time after time ...

I've seen a few DLP projectors that were darn close OOTB, but just when you think it might be the norm ... bam!! one that is way off ...

You pays your money, and you takes your chances ... sorry to say.

Regards

Levesque

Supporting Actor
It's a sad world where someone goes far from any big centers to make alot of money, but can't have access to any of the big centers luxary...

I just don't understand. There is 40000 people living there in that town, and making alot more money then average people, and alot are watching big screen TV that are around 50-75% of the level of performance they could acheive. My neighbors are 2 lawyers. They have an awesome Pio Elite in the family room. I went there to have a look. The DVD was plugged with the composite cable in the Elite... I talk with them about calibration and bring my Avia disk. They didn't believe the difference after Avia and buying a component cable.

So Michael. You are telling me it's impossible to buy something that will be "near" optimale performance OOTB?

Why is it that I will pay around 7000$CDN for an LCoS Tosh and will still need to have it tweak?

So, I'm the only guy over the 49e parallel that will have the idea of tweaking a 7000$ TV? Strange world.

I will probably have to pay for the plane and the hotel for an ISF calibrator. It will probably cost 1/3 of the price of the TV!

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
From what I heard the 1080p LCOS from Toshiba last year was pretty good out of the box. Though some think that an ISF calibration is necessary for a good picture, the truth is with a good calibration video like AVIA or Digital Video Essentials (DVE) you can get the picture pretty well calibrated. There are changes that an ISF can do that you couldn't, but I believe most of those are only for a CRT display. Also if get the 65HXL83, which I would recommend, you may want to first see how it looks before worrying over calibration.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
That's what I want to confirm, because an ISF calibration will be impossible for me because of the distance issue. I'm really leaning on the Tosh 65HLX83, but need to confirm that it will not need extensive "tweaking" and will have a good performance OOTB. The Sony Grand Wega 60" interest me alot too.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Maybe MichaelTLV or Gregg Lowen could chime in here and tell me if they did a calibration for an LCoS.

I just talk with my dealer and the Tosh 57HLX83 will be in my dedicated HT the minute it's coming out.:D

Is there a professionnal calibrator that did calibrate (or try to) an LCoS set in here? Is it more complicated then calibrating a CRT-RPTV? How were those LCoS from last year OOTB?

Thank you all.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

No LCOS here.

I wouldn't get too worked up ... since chances are ... the warm settings are usually closer than on typical crt based RPTVs ... at least on the FPTV DLP units I have looked at.

Close and usually plenty good enough for most people ... but I think that is the whole point wrt calibration. An image that is plenty good to most is not good to the videophile who needs to know ...

If you cannot move yourself from that category ... you will never be happy without calibration.

It may sometimes be possible to get a set store calibrated before shipping ... been done before ... just ask JohnnyG.

Regards

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Thank you Michael. I really respect your opinion.

Where I'm moving, they don't even know what component video is... So I can forgot to ask for a calibration in-store...

Do you know of an ISF calibrator going sometimes north of Ontario, and that could make a stop in Val D'or (it's in Québec but easy to reach from north Ontario)?

If you cannot move yourself from that category ... you will never be happy without calibration.
I knew I was "infected" some how... But I (sigh!) am in this category...

I could try to find some people there to do a "group" fee. How many people should join in for someone to come down here?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

My critical mass number has been about 4 to 5 people since I tend to pay my own way there.

Do you have to get the TV from PQ ... or can you go to Toronto (via the web?) ... let's say .

Regards

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I did a RCA LCOS a couple of days ago (or attempted to), I recommended that the client return it. Not sure about the Tosh units.

best wishes

gregg

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg, I understand your giving a warning but before anyone takes it to heart think about this. Someone encounter's a horrible CRT display and warns you not to buy it, do you A. Not buy that display, or B. Never buy another CRT display. The RCA model which is the 50" L50000 may be a good example of how not to make a LCOS display. The Toshiba LCOS on the other hand was given positive reviews in all the home theater magazines that reviewed it. Also Gregg was the calibration of the unit like an LCD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks