What's new

Which System would you pick? (1 Viewer)

JarodJSchultz

Auditioning
I currently have a Sony KP-53V90 Projection TV, Sony DVP-S330 DVD Player and a Kenwood DP-R6060 CD Player. I have $500 to spend to replace and update the current HT/Stereo System. I'm looking at 2 systems below, one is HT in a box and the other is one that I have picked from reading posts from here.

Onkyo HT-S760 6.1 Home Theater System - $339.00
from ecost.com

OR

Sony SA-WM500 12" 150 Watts Powered Subwoofer - $135.00
from bhphotovideo.com
Fluance AV-HTB 5 Speaker System - $199.00
from store.yahoo.com/fluance
Kenwood VR6070 7.1 Channel THX Surround Receiver - $185.00
from ecost.com

Has anyone bought from these vender's before?
The Onkyo and Kenwood Receiver is refurbished, does that worry anyone?
Any improvements or comments is greatly Thankful!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Go with the chosen components...

Not to knock Kenwood.

But consider this ecost product as well.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=157373

I hope it is a mispront, it lists the Component Video switching as 10mhz on the Kenwood. (unacceptable if so)

Please do not confuse THX Select with THX certification.
I think the Onkyo will sound better. But who knows, the features on that Kenwood, make it tempting though, I admit.

If you want the Kenwood, you better order quick, as they list that as an Open Box refurb, OB sometimes means they only have one.

Good luck!!!

JarodJSchultz

Auditioning
$500.00 - tops $700.00

The Speakers and Subwoofer I'm pretty sure on...
Fluance AV-HTB 5 Speaker System - $199.00
Sony SA-WM500 12" 150 Watts Powered Subwoofer - $135.00

I've always liked Kenwood but Onkyo 501 gets brought up lot around here as a quality reciever. I must have 2 digital optical inputs. I don't really care about the Component Video switching because I only have my TV to plug-in too. I would like to keep all of the channels to at least 100 watts each which the Onkyo doesn't.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Don't look to much into the wattage number on the receivers. For example HK rates there products with very low numbers compared to most other companies.

I'd suggest you look at this setup.
HSU VT-12

HSU STF-1

Pair this with that Onkyo and you are just a tad over $700 but you will have a 6.1 setup vs. the 5.1 setup.

Another option I'd suggest is the the Rocket Tykes.
Tykes

Or maybe this Infinity setup
Infinity

These would keep you in your budget with either the Kenwood or Onkyo receiver, but would give you a 5.1 instead of the 6.1.

Goodluck

John S

Senior HTF Member
Don't discount quality component video switching. I know you see no use now. But HDTV is on the event horizon.

Most poeple run out of inputs and have to video switch.

On the power, I can almost 100% positively state, that the Onkyo SR-501 actually has more power then the Kenwood.

Like I say, some of the additional features really seem tempting on the Kenwood.

Good luck with your purchase....

JarodJSchultz

Auditioning
Thanks John and Richard for your help. This forum has been a blessing on finding out answers for my questions. Anyone else have any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks