What's new

which system makes sense for me? (1 Viewer)

Stefan A

Second Unit
I have been interested in the past few weeks about possibly getting back into playing video games. A few years ago I bought a playstation but I ended up taking it back and selling my games. I took it back because many of the games just did not interest me - or at least I didn't want to spend the money to find out. When we had it, my wife and I enjoyed the platform style games the best - such as Spyro. We have no interest in sports games. Possibly a driving type game, but no football, baseball, hockey ect... With the new systems that are coming out, and the PSII which has been out, it seems like games are really looking interesting. I mean as far as the graphics, smoothness, and especially the sound (the idea of 5.1 sound in a game really intrigues me). The last game system I owned that I played regularly was the original nintendo. So, that gives you an idea of what I am used to. This doesn't mean that I necessarily want to stick with Nintendo. I remember really being into this series of games called Dragon?????. I can't remember the full title but it was a D&D style game - hit points, luck, stregnth, mythical types of foes.
Anyway, with the info I have given you about my likes and dislikes, could any of you suggest which system you think I should look into?
------------------
Stefan Antwarg
My DVD Collection
The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
If the games were on the NES, I'm betting you were playing Dragon Warrior(1, 2, 3, or 4) Very, very good games. And Dragon Warrior 7 is about to come out on the original Playstation.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how the series has evolved but the Final Fantasy games for the NES and SNES were pretty similiar to Dragon Warrior, if I remember correctly. The newer Final Fantasy games are available on Playstation but I've haven't played any of those.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I would go with the PS2 - they have great 3rd party support and it sounds like you would definitely dig the Final Fantasy Series. I am not an RPG fan, but for some reason I like all the FF games.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
The best advice I can give you is to wait until they are all out. Try each one and look in to the games that they have to offer. Every system will be available to rent after launch and it might be well worth the 15 bucks to check it out before taking the plunge.
Dean

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Best of all, if you buy a PS2 you can still play DW7 since the PS2 is backwards compatible.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm an RPG fan, and I love every FF game I have played (5-9, plus dabbled in 1 and 4j).
If you want the best possible choice, go with PS2. It plays PSX games, which are still great (with some good ones still coming) and PS2 games (which already has a bunch of great games out). The XB doesn't seem to have any RPG games or games that you might be interested in (not yet and not for the next month or two) and the GCN is trying to use some more arcade style games or games that appeal to its fans.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I think you need to give a few more examples of games you like.
For driving games, PS2 or XBOX are looking the best right now.
For platformers...again, a tough call. GC has Luigi's Mansion at launch. The PS2 will have Jak and Daxter (which looks great) next month plus it already has a couple good ones out like Rayman 2. The XBOX has Oddworld which is supposed to be good, but tends to be more of a niche title. The XBOX also has Shrek...but who knows how that one will turn out.
Now, for RPGs, the GC has nothing in the near future. It does have a couple down the road which look promising (Rune and Gold Star Mountain). But those could be a while in coming. A PS2 would allow you to play numerous great PSX RPGs plus some good upcoming ones. The XBOX has Azurik and Nightcaster right away, but they tend to lean toward adventure and I have no clue how good they will be. Morrowmind comes early next year and should be good.
So, it's kind of a hard call on the info you gave us. Right now I'd say PS2. But that could change next year when more is known about upcoming GC and XBOX games.
Aaron
[Edited last by Aaron Copeland on October 22, 2001 at 11:37 PM]

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm.. For a little over $100, I'd buy a used DC, a VMU, and get Grandia II & Skies of Arcadia. If you're a big DW fan (I am!) then go this route and wait it out. I don't think there is a _killer_ next gen RPG out for PS2 or Xbox this year (FF maybe?) so this is a good short term move.
Also, run out and buy a Game Boy Advance & get DWI & II & III and wait for games like Golden Sun & Breath of Fire to come out this year on the GBA!
I must admit I'm trying to borrow someone's PS so I can play DW7!! :)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I'd second that idea of a cheap Dreamcast - between MSR, Sega Rally 2, Crazy Taxi (1 and 2) and Ferrari F355 the driving genre was pretty sewn up by that. Also, if you like platformers then DC Rayman 2 is second only to Mario64 for that.

Stefan A

Second Unit
Thanks for all the replies so far. It seems like many people are suggesting the PSII or Dreamcast. I have heard that the DC is being discontinued. If that is the case, I would prefer to stay away from that. I am sure good games exist for it now, but I would hate to be stuck with something that is only going to dwindle away. I am not into having several consoles laying around either. It's one or nothing.
As far as other games, I have always liked stuff like frogger, centipede - you know, the updated arcade style games. On the computer, I was really into "The Beast Within" from the Gabrial Knight series and "Phantasmagoria". I know they are pretty old but that is the style of game I really like.
I am learning quickly that it is really all about the games. I was really hoping more people would recommend one of the new systems - because they are so powerful. I also wanted to take advantage of my HDTV and 5.1 sound system if possible - hey, this is a home theater web site :). Since those systems are not out yet, I guess it's kind of hard to recommend those. But, I know that some of you really know your games and can get a good idea on the type of game just be reading a description. I am not one of those people, which is why I have come here. Thanks again and keep the responses comin'.
------------------
Stefan Antwarg
My DVD Collection
The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
To cover a few of your points:
Yes, the Dreamcast is dead. Other than Headhunter and Virtua Tennis 2 there won't really be any more games coming out. On the bright side, that means that the thing is great as a cheap bargain to see how you feel about getting back into console games, and performance wise stands comfortably near the PS2. Other currently available consoles basically means the PSOne or the N64; if you think the DC looks dead then these are positively ancient history at around 5 years old.
If you don't want a cheap DC then I definitely recommend waiting until the dust settles. For someone who isn't sure right now the outlay for any of them is substantial, and right now there is no way of telling for certain which will be best. Right now there are maybe three or four games tops that I'd recommend to you on the PS2, so we are in the realm of predicting which games will turn out ok.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Well in terms of using your HDTV and DD 5.1 sound in game, the only system that is hardware wise capable of it is the Xbox. Every system is going to have an outstanding software lineup so really its up to you to find out which appeals to you the most.
Other factors are how long do you want this system to last? If your looking for a longer period of time you might want to concentrate on one of the new systems instead of the already over a year old PS2.
Some good sites to start researching the systems and the games for them are:
Link Removed http://gamespot.com/
These will have branches for each system, and are worth checking out to get a general feeling about each one.
Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on October 23, 2001 at 10:26 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was reading some things on GameSpot about the launch titles for XB that they have to play (they are near complete and only have a feature or two, if that, missing).
Project Gotham looks great, but they are debating whether the cars look better than the ones in GT3 when you are actually racing. Backgrounds are better, but nobody is sure about its physics in comparison to GT3.
Oddworld isn't looking to be that great. Its outdated feel, graphics that aren't what they could be, and I haven't heard too much about the gameplay.
DoA3 is great, but it plays exactly like DoA2. Imagine DoA2, with some new characters, some new backgrounds, and better graphics. Thats all.
Amped looks pretty good, but has some control issues.
Halo is great. Someone at GS actually said it might end up being better than Half-Life. Graphics are great and there is only a minor slow down during big action scenes in the coop mode. Fun, too.
I can't remember the rest of the reviews, but those are some of the bigger games at the launch. Overall, I would say the XB launch isn't that big of a deal. If it's your first console in a long time, then you will probably get a kick out of the games, but for anyone who has played DoA2 and SSX, you might as well stick with a PS2 and buy Halo for PC next year (or whenever it comes out).
Final Fantasy X is THE killer RPG from everything I have seen, read, or heard. Its the best of the series in every way (besides the beginning being very linear). Also, FFX is supposed to have over 100 hours of gameplay if you complete all the sidequests and perfect your characters.
I didn't like the DC. If you like RPGs, get a PS2 and wait for Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Final Fantasy X, etc. The only reason you should buy a DC is if you can find it really cheap. Otherwise, buy a PS2 since a lot of DC games are coming to it anyway.
The XB does DD5.1 and HDTV. The GCN does up to 480i (I think) and Rogue Leader has Pro Logic II. PS2 can do DD5.1 output, but right now, its only during cinema sequences. Eventually, it will be in real-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks