What's new

Which SVS? (1 Viewer)

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
Over the last year I have upgraded my home theater system and I now have the Outlaw 950/750 combo, Pinnacle Gold Reference Towers (front left and right), Pinnacle Gold Reference center speaker, 4 Pinnacle Gold Reference mini-monitors for left and right surround, left and right rear, and a Pinnacle 250 watt sub-woofer.

My room dimensions are 22 feet long by 14 feet wide by 8 feet high (close to 2,500 cubic feet). I am pretty well satisfied with my setup (80% DVD movies and 20% music) with the exception of the sub-woofer. Which SVS would be a good replacement? I am open to suggestions for other sub-woofer brands.

I would prefer to keep the price under $1,000 if possible.

John

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
Over the last year I have upgraded my home theater system and I now have the Outlaw 950/750 combo, Pinnacle Gold Reference Towers (front left and right), Pinnacle Gold Reference center speaker, 4 Pinnacle Gold Reference mini-monitors for left and right surround, left and right rear, and a Pinnacle 250 watt sub-woofer.

My room dimensions are 22 feet long by 14 feet wide by 8 feet high (close to 2,500 cubic feet). I am pretty well satisfied with my setup (80% DVD movies and 20% music) with the exception of the sub-woofer. Which SVS would be a good replacement? I am open to suggestions for other sub-woofer brands.

I would prefer to keep the price under $1,000 if possible.

John

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
Anything that SVS sells will be an upgrade, but if it were me, I would wiggle a PC-Ultra into your bugeted amount if at all possible.

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
Anything that SVS sells will be an upgrade, but if it were me, I would wiggle a PC-Ultra into your bugeted amount if at all possible.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
What level do you like to listen to your movies John?
Is your room fairly closed off or is it very leaky?
Is your seating close to a wall?
Do you plan on corner loading?
Do you prefer cylinder or box style?
How close is your best past placement option to your sweet spot?

Nice choice in going the SVS rout imo and nice system you have going there.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
What level do you like to listen to your movies John?
Is your room fairly closed off or is it very leaky?
Is your seating close to a wall?
Do you plan on corner loading?
Do you prefer cylinder or box style?
How close is your best past placement option to your sweet spot?

Nice choice in going the SVS rout imo and nice system you have going there.

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
My disatisfaction for my Pinnacle 250 watt (12 inch driver) is that it is somewhat boomy and at high volume it seems to give a rough sound. I sometimes play close to reference. The room is pretty self-contained with no openings into it when I close all doors. It has a thick carpet and heavy drapes (I use them to darken the room as I have a DPL projection system).

I have two corners to place the sub-woofer-front left or right. Cylinder or square makes little difference to me.

I always wonder if I will really hear a difference by going from a 250 watt Pinnacle to a 525 watt SVS (PC plus for example),

I will look at the specs for the PC Ultra as compared to the PCPlus.

John

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
My disatisfaction for my Pinnacle 250 watt (12 inch driver) is that it is somewhat boomy and at high volume it seems to give a rough sound. I sometimes play close to reference. The room is pretty self-contained with no openings into it when I close all doors. It has a thick carpet and heavy drapes (I use them to darken the room as I have a DPL projection system).

I have two corners to place the sub-woofer-front left or right. Cylinder or square makes little difference to me.

I always wonder if I will really hear a difference by going from a 250 watt Pinnacle to a 525 watt SVS (PC plus for example),

I will look at the specs for the PC Ultra as compared to the PCPlus.

John

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
__________________________________________________ ______

Watts plus enclosure volume along with the db driver adds up to a big difference in my mind.

Sounds like your in close to the same size room as me except your 2464 CF is much more efficient than my leaky 2880. I have been playing around with one 25-31CS+ lately just to refresh my thinking. It's been so long since I have ran one that I tend to under-rate it's capability. I actually could get by with one if I had to and be very happy. At close to reference I would be asking allot of it and it would do fairly well except on the really heavy bass laden scenes. So a PC+ or PC-ULTRA ought to do very well for you considering your closed off space and CF. The PB2-ISD would be a nice choice also.

The SPL a SVS manifests in the lower Hz material is what really will make your jaw drop along with all the different flavors of bass it plays so well.

Most definitely.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
__________________________________________________ ______

Watts plus enclosure volume along with the db driver adds up to a big difference in my mind.

Sounds like your in close to the same size room as me except your 2464 CF is much more efficient than my leaky 2880. I have been playing around with one 25-31CS+ lately just to refresh my thinking. It's been so long since I have ran one that I tend to under-rate it's capability. I actually could get by with one if I had to and be very happy. At close to reference I would be asking allot of it and it would do fairly well except on the really heavy bass laden scenes. So a PC+ or PC-ULTRA ought to do very well for you considering your closed off space and CF. The PB2-ISD would be a nice choice also.

The SPL a SVS manifests in the lower Hz material is what really will make your jaw drop along with all the different flavors of bass it plays so well.

Most definitely.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I was going to say a PB2 ISD but your room is sealable so I really think a PB1 ISD or PB1 Plus would be more than enough.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I was going to say a PB2 ISD but your room is sealable so I really think a PB1 ISD or PB1 Plus would be more than enough.

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
I have been reading reviews of the Outlaw LFM1's (or is it LMF-1?). A pair of them goes for $999 (with 325 watt amps each) as opposed to an SVS PC+ that goes for $849. Will the 2 LFM1's do a better job (one in each front corner).

John

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I would go with the SVS PB2+ or ultra but before you do anything..... give Ron at SVS a call and he will guide you in the right direction through a series of questions about your room, gear and tastes. He may even recommend a different brand sub which he actually did for a friend of mine to try out instead of just setting on what they sell. That speaks alot about a persons integrity. My PB2+ took the place of dual large NHT's that were rack amp powered. No compairison at all. The SVS blew them into the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks