Which SVS ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David Preston, May 3, 2003.

1. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I am planing on purchasing a new speaker set up. I have a few questions. I plan getting a custom set from Brian Bunge at RAD. My question is should I get a RAD sub along with the speakers from Brian or a SVS? From what I have read on here it looks liek SVS is unbeatable. Then has anyone had any experience with the box SVS sub the PB1-isd. Would it sound as good as the cylinder sub SVS 25-31pci. Just a couple more questions which is the best bang for the buck SVS around 500-600 dollar range. How much better will these sound than my self powered Cerwin-Vega 12" sub. I think it sounds pretty good my neighbor says he thought a plane was flying low todays when I was playing the avalanche scene from XXX. I can't imagine what he will say when I get the new one. Thanks in advance. David

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

4. I am sure you will be happy with either performance wise.

With SVS, you will get a better price/performance ratio, but with RAD, you will get exactly what you want with performance AND fishish, but it will cost a bit more.

It kinda comes down to how tight of a budget you are on, and if you like the look of the SVS subs.

5. David Preston

Thanks everybody for responding. I will be having Brian calibrating my rptv later this month. He will be bringing a set of speakers for me to audition for a couple weeks. He said he will bring a sub but can't leave it. I'm sure he will show me its capabilties before taking it back with him. I don't think his subs are all that exspensive. Is there a SVS dealer in GA? I would love to hear one. It's more than likely I will get one from Brian if they are close to each other in performance. Thanks Edward for answering question by question. I will post when I decide. David

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

7. David Preston

Thanks I'll try to find a local who has one.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

David,

Well, I have some cheaper stuff and some higher priced stuff. It just depends on what you're looking for and what type of finish you want. If you like the black textured look of the SVS box subs then we can do that for less money than a veneered sub.

I know this is blasphemy (sp?), but I really wonder if an SVS (or anything in that performance range) is really a wise choice when you consider the type of speakers you're looking at purchasing. It allows for a great upgrade path later on, but if you have no intentions of upgrading the speakers then you've spent quite a bit of money on a sub and you can't really can't use it to it's full potential without risking overdriving your other 5 speakers.

I think you'd be better off getting mains, center and rears that have strong output down to 60Hz and then adding an SVS or something similar. But that's just my opinion. If you want to spend the money, I'll be more than happy to build you something in that range.

9. doh[​IMG] I must agree with brian...as much as it pains me [​IMG]

IMO, a subwoofer ONLY adds to the experience, it isn't a stand alone. A sub without a speaker for music or HT is nonsense. the converse is not true. you can easily enjoy music and HT without a sub.

Good speakers without a sub makes for a good experience.
    Good speakers with a good sub makes for an even better experience
    Ok speakers with an excellent sub makes for an initial WOW experience that gets old really quick and turns to a "damn, I wish I had better speakers" experience.

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

David I have a AV15 on the way that was built by Brian that you might be interested in its performance. I also received my first 25-31+ SVS close to a few weeks ago to. If you are interested I could give you my impressions of how the two stack up against each other? With you living so close to Brian it opens allot of doors concerning shipping. My AV15 shipped Fri or Mon so I should have a good idea here soon I would think? I am told 5-7 business days.[​IMG]

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Luckily for David, if we build him a sub we'll be able to deliver it in person! [​IMG]

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Very lucky indeed but I expect the same.[​IMG] Load up that PT and head on over to Oregon its only 2800 miles :wink:

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Steve,

Tempting! How far is the beach?![​IMG]

14. David Preston

Brian rules. I can't wait to meet him and his speakers. Who needs to go to the HT store to look at speakers when they can come to you?