Which SVS to get ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean D, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

HI folks,

I'm seriously wanting to get an SVS sub. I'm just not sure if I should get the 16-46cs or the 20-39cs .I am leaning towards the 16-46 because of the lower extension but I understand that it may not be as loud as the 20-39 so I am not sure( the dual setup is out of my budget) . I will be getting the Samson 700 amp regardless of which sub. My room is approx. 16'X 26'. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Sean,

I'm sure others will jump in here, folks that have wrestled this very question into submission. FWIW, our 20-39CS remains our most popular (and the 20-39PC the most popular on the powered side) precisely because it is a near-ideal compromise between SPL capacity and deep extension.

All our subs vary more by degrees than some massive shift. The similarities are strong. With a room as large as yours, unless you are a pipe organ fanatic, I'd go for the 20-39CS. Save a few bucks, squeeze out those last few dBs for the room, and still know that you'll get strong output to well below 20Hz with good corner placement.

And with your Samson powering it, you are ready for a second sub should the budget be available. Don't get me wrong, a 16-46 would be great too, but with your room size, I'd tilt away from it unless you were planning the second sub sooner rather than later. Just my 2 cents.

Ron

3. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I had a very similar question that I ended up conversing with Tom about. I have a 24'x15' room and was waffling between the 16-46CS and 20-39CS. After some discussion, Tom felt that the 20-39CS would be the best option - still get low extension, but also good volume level. I plan to go with the 20-39CS when I order my sub...

4. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

The 16-46 has the most room pressurizing "feel like you are underwater" type of bass, but it is overall just a bit too "smooth" sounding for my tastes. The 20-39 gets close to the deep bass capabilities of the 16-46, but has a lot more slam, more of a percussive type sound. I like it much better, at least in my room. The 25-31 has the most "slam" of the 3, but just doesn't have that gut churning ultra deep bass the 20-39 and 16-46 has. JMHO. . .

5. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

I happen to like deep bass, including organ music, so I went for the 16-46CS in my setup.
    Delivers plenty of slam for me - the house on occasion seems like it is floating in air... [​IMG]
    Several months after getting the SVS, I got a parametric equalizer. What I did not realize immediately is that it had a 20Hz brickwall filter.
    Everything sounded weird all of a sudden. There was a certain extension, smoothness if you will, missing during music passages - and not just organ music, really any kind. It was... like someone had ripped out an integral part of the music.
    I never knew that before; I had an NHT sub, which did fine, but no match for the SVS, and certainly did not go that deep.
    Of course, after that I took out the parametric. I'd rather live with a (fairly) small amount of bloat at 50Hz than without that.
    But, because of that experience, I would never again get a sub that did not have that extension - such as the 16-46.
    That's been my experience. Incidentally, that sub runs in a room that is approx. 30x16 with a cathedral ceiling that opens up to about 17 ft - never mind two corridors, and open to the kitchen and the breakfast area. It fills the space just fine; I cannot run the sub at full blast because it really gets too loud. However, I cannot achieve full reference because of that volume; I would expect it would take at least another 16-46 or perhaps a pair of Ultras to do so. But, personally, I want to be able to listen to that music in 40 years, including the lowest of the low, not be deaf...
    The above is of course my experience, my opinion, with my biases; they run counter to a number of people in this thread. So be it.
    Mike

6. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to everyone who replied. Perhaps the 20-39 is more suitable to my needs.

Thanks.