Which SVS to get ?????

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Horatio, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Horatio

Horatio Auditioning

Hello to all...
    I am in a real dillema.
    Should I get one PB12-2/Ultra or two PC Ultra's.
    I have ABSOLUTELY NO PREFERENCE when it comes to the shape/aesthetics of a subwoofer...As long as I am "blown away" by accuracy and power, I do not care if it's shaped even like a teapot :b
    Basically I am looking for max. performance.
    Any pro and con to each setup?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers [​IMG]

PS. If by chance you answered my query on another forum, thank you [​IMG], and please disregard it here.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Well, there are advantages to each. If your concern is mostly power, then you could use the box sub or co-located cylinders and get roughly the same effect (I think). The cylinders would allow you to place them in different locations to help control peaks and nulls, but this would reduce SPL. Also, the cylinders can be tuned to 12Hz whereas the box can *only* be tuned to 16Hz (if that matters at all).

I think the two cylinders may be the best choice for flexibility reasons. But certainly e-mail SVS and ask their opinions too.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I would call Ron down there at SVS and ask him. I went from dual subs to one PB2+ now the PB12+ and big tacticle difference.. I now feel things where I did not before as much.

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

The dual PC-ULTRA'S would have a sizable db advantage in the lower FR's if that were your only concern?

5. Horatio

Horatio Auditioning

Steve nn : Yes Steve, from reading all the specs on SVS site, my overall impression-judging only by the numbers(I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this HT hobby) is that since the PC-Ultras are natively tuned to 20Hz, they have a bit of an advantage over the PB12-2/Ultra; I would prefer to keep all ports open, irrespective of the model I choose, so that is why I think that the PCs might be slightly better. Due to lack of space, I would be forced to keep the PCs next to each other anyway, so flexibility of locating them in different parts of the room, is not a priority per se.

SethH: I will call SVS for sure on Monday, but I wanted to get a feel of what others with a lot more experience with SVS are saying too. I am rather new to the HT hobby, but I managed to learn that sometimes, numbers alone (like 20Hz VS 25Hz), do not tell the whole story.

Also, another thing that occurred to me is, how much more difficult would be to set properly 2 separate subs, as opposed to just 1 ????

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That's true, but less so for subwoofers. Numbers for floorstanding speakers often mean very little with regard to how they will sound. Subs, however, can be quantified much more accurately and justifiably than other types of speakers.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have found over the course of time this to be my preference also. Many will disagree, but imo the SVS subs I have ran in the past and presently, have suffered a little SQ wise in doing so.

I find the native 25 Hz tune on the PB12-Ultra/2 very adequate, considering it's basically flat down to 21-20 in most rooms. Allot of guys do plug a port though and find it to their liking. It's nice to have the option anyway.