What's new

Which SVS to get - OPINIONS PLEASE (1 Viewer)

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
My HT room is pretty small, basically rectangular at 15' long by 11' wide by 9' high (roughly 1450 sq. feet), and the only opening is a regular size door, which can be closed during viewing/listening. I have a Yamaha HTR-5280 receiver, older DCM Timewindows as mains, and new Def Tech BP2X surrounds and Def Tech C/L/R center channel. Right now I'm using a Sony SA-WM40 sub, so I'm sure any of the SVS's will be a major improvement. I use my system predominantly for HT, but listen to some music as well.
I ordered a powered SVS this afternoon, but am having second thoughts as to which of the "PC" models I should get. I'm assuming the guys at SVS will let me change my order tomorrow to another model before it ships, if I decide I really want to. Price isn't really an issue, at least not in the range of the SVS powered subs. I just want to make sure I get the best "fit" for my room/equipment/listening style.
Is anybody out there using an SVS in such a small room as mine? I'd appreciate any and all opinions as to what anybody thinks would be best in my room (obviously the sooner the better).
Thanks!
David

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
My room is very similar in size to yours - 16x12x8. The 20-39PC works in my room quite nicely but I'm sure that any of the three models would. I found it to be a nice compromise.
With smaller rooms the added headroom of the 25-31PC becomes less of an issue so, IMHO, the bigger issue is low frequency extension. The 16-46 will fill your room quite nicely with the deepest, most heart pounding, rattle inducing bass you could ever imagine. At the risk of sounding wishy-washy, the 20-39 and 25-31 models would definitely do the same but you would sacrifice a smidge on the low end. Go with your gut on this one.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
David,
Which SVS did you order? Are you more movies or music? I think the 20-39PC is a solid choice for your room. Plenty of extension down low and good all around clean bass. Whichever model you ordered David, rest assured you will NOT be dissapointed. Good luck with your new sub, i suspect you won't be leaving your house much after you get it :)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
David,
I could be wrong but I don't believe we've ever had one of the 16-46PCs come back. Our reviews page has a link to a nice write-up by none other than Robert Fowkes from HTF Admin fame.
Scroll down on this page a bit.
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviews.htm
I think with more and more subterranean bass out there that you will be very pleased in your snug room with it.
We do tend to ship pretty quickly though, typically next day now. If you need more time let us know by tomorrow morning. Otherwise UPS might make your final decision for you. ;^)
Ron
[Edited last by SVS-Ron on November 01, 2001 at 09:12 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I recommended the 16-46PC because one of the things repeatedly indicated in the emails was a desire for more extension then the current sony woof. If memory serves...the bass >30-35hz seemed fine...but there was a desire for plumbing the depths... :)
We can hold the order til monday if you want to think about it over the weekend David?
TV

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Ron E:
Thanks for your comments. Do you feel like you're missing anything by not having that last little bit of extension? Do you feel the extra little bit of headroom is more important?
Dalton:
I ordered the 16-46. I'm a little more into movies than music. Any particular reason you would choose the 20-39 over the 16-46 (assuming size and the $70 difference aren't important)?
I appreciate you guys letting me pick your brains.
SVS-Ron,
I read R.F's write-up earlier today. It definitely had a strong impact on my decision to order the 16-46. You guys are obviously doing a lot of things right.
Tom V.

HEY HEY HEY!!! Don't tease me like that. I'm all geared up to hear awesome bass by Wednesday. Tom, I'm sure you completely pegged my needs with your recommendation. It's just that when making a pretty big purchase like this, it's always nice to hear lots of opinions. The only way I might want to change my order would be if somebody came up with a REAL convincing argument as to why the 25-31 or 20-39 would be better. I'm about 99.9999% sure of my choice, and this sort of last minute wishy-washyness is pretty standard for me when making this kind of purchase (even though I rarely change my mind). So definitely don't do anything to hold up my order. If I somehow change my mind in my dreams overnight, you'll have an e-mail by 7:30 CST tomorrow morning.
Thanks!
David

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Well, when you think it would only be delayed one day...having the whole weekend to think about it might come in handy :)
Who knows...you might hit the lottery over the weekend, buy svs and order me to make you a vod-module.
TV

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Nawww, I don't feel like I'm missing a thing.
biggrin.gif
The 20-39 actually does extend into the mid-teens but with some roll-off.
My thought process went a little different then yours. I originally was planning on the 25-31 due to price and the extra headroom it provides. After much thought I decided that in my easy room the 20-39 would be plenty loud and provide extension that goes deep enough to accurately reproduce 99.999999% of all soundtracks out there.
Would the 16-46 have added anything to my HT experience? Maybe. But I'm so thrilled with my 20-39PC that I've never really second guessed my decision. :) Whichever you choose, you will be impressed.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

john waring

Agent
Just wondering how much a 20-39 would cost to ship to montreal ,canada. I hear so many good things about these subs my interest is peaked. Any info much appreciated.Thanks John

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
If you upgrade down the road and consider a second SVSub, then dual 16-46's would give you the best of both worlds (extension and output). Also, you should consider a set of DT mains (for "optimal" timbre matching). Enjoy!
[Edited last by Bob_A on November 02, 2001 at 01:35 AM]
[Edited last by Bob_A on November 02, 2001 at 01:36 AM]

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Ron E.
"I decided that in my easy room the 20-39 would be plenty loud and provide extension that goes deep enough to accurately reproduce 99.999999% of all soundtracks out there"
Yeah I guess it's almost a toss-up. I'm just taking your logic a little further. From everything I’ve read, I can't imagine ever being disappointed by the “loudness” of the 16-46, especially in my tiny HT room. So I figure I might as well go for that extra little bit of extension just for those 0.000001% of all soundtracks out there. :)
Glad to hear you’ve never second-guessed your decision. It just shows how good ALL of the SVS subs are.
John,
"David via AL: Get the Ultra........"
Can't go there man. In my first post, I said “Price isn't really an issue”, but I meant as far as the $150 difference between the three PC models. I'm really pushing it here already by spending over $800. And although there's always something out there better, everybody seems to agree I won't be let down by the PC series.
Bob A.
Actually you kind of hit the nail on the head. The 16-46 obviously has the best “performance” except where absolute volume output is concerned. It should produce plenty of output for my little HT room, and if I ever get to build the “dream” HT in a bigger room, then that’ll just give me the excuse I need to buy another 16-46 :)
“Also, you should consider a set of DT mains (for "optimal" timbre matching)”
Already on the shopping list. I’m slowly trying to upgrade everything. My mains sound pretty decent right now, and I just think the biggest improvement I can make is to replace the Sony (surprisingly not-too-bad of a sub for $140) with a really incredible sub.
Thanks again guys for your comments. I'm going to e-mail SVS this morning and confirm my order for the 16-46.
David

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I'd go with a custom tuned 20-39PC and put the savings towards new mains (or some new dvds/cds
wink.gif
).

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You will be so happy with any of them, whichever one get's in your hands first you will not let go of it. Someone will have to pry it from you. Stick with your original plan, Tom/Ron know what they're doing and will never steer you wrong.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've just had a chance to try out my new 16PC-46 briefly and it's pretty much what everyone says. I'm very happy I chose extension--this thing handles dauntingly low sound in Ep. I without flinching in the slightest.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

William Lee

Agent
if i have a relatively large living room... is there really that much of a volume difference between 16-46s and 20-39s? to the people that ordered the 16-46s, have you ever at ONCE thought that your sub was too... "unloud"?
please respond, I'm in the exact same situation
frown.gif

Leaning towards the 16-46 though... must... have ... extension

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
I had a 16-46CS, and I tried it along with quite a few other subs in a fairly large living room. It was VERY easy to integrate with a variety of main speakers - a bit easier than the other subs. It sounded great with tunes - very musical. It went deep - no problem on range. But it did bottom out a lot when we cranked it. Can't tell you what frequencies were involved, but it bottomed out before the other subs we had.
I decided that I needed at least 2 16-46's to do the job, especially in a big room. I tried it in a smaller room, and it did bottom out less. I think 2 would probably be a great and powerful setup.
Ultimately, since it was way too big and conspicuous for my wife, and since I needed another one (or more) to boot, I sent it back. The folks at SVS were great about the return - no problem. They are a great company to work with, and I am sorry it didn't work out for me. If I were you, I'd consider an Ultra - I'm curious about them. And the SS will probably be great.
About extension - I can't imagine getting a sub that did not go as low as possible. Even if I did not need it often, if I have a sub. it better go down as low as I ever need. it. I never considered anything but a 16-46 when I got it last year. If it bottoms out, then get 2 or more, or get another sub - that's my philosophy!
Cheers,
Chris
[Edited last by Chris Zell on November 02, 2001 at 10:18 PM]

William Lee

Agent
Also.. i'm also much more in it for the home theater than I am for the music. However, what is this about your 16-46 bottoming out sooner than your other subs? I'm not really sure i caught the drift of your post... could you perhaps clarify a little as to why the 16-46 didnt work out for you?
Thanks

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Here's a graph that might explain how the excursion demands increase as the tuning point is lowered.
remember,this is only a simulation...for entertainment purposes only,
Blue=16-46
Purple=20-39
Yellow=25-31.
You can see how the driver excursion must increase in the very important 20-35hz range. And even though the driver is moving farther...the volume is staying the same(not really,but accurate enough to understand the point in this context).
BB6_CD1.jpg

TV
[Edited last by Tom Vodhanel on November 02, 2001 at 10:31 PM]
[Edited last by Tom Vodhanel on November 02, 2001 at 10:33 PM]

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the late reply - gone for the weekend.
When I say bottomed out - I mean I the woofer was driven too hard, and the associated blatting sounds from the sub made me dive for the volume control. If you have ever had the level too high for your speakers, you know the sound of a driver hit too hard.
I felt I needed one (or more) 16-46's to do the job so I could crank it loud and not overdrive the sub. The 16-46 sounded great until it bottomed, but I needed more than one. Perhaps it would not have happened if I had a 25-31, or even a 20-39, but I want my sub to go low AND loud, so I never really considered them!
So a single 16-46 did not work for me because it could not go quite loud enough in a fairly large room, and my wife would not really tolerate the large cylinder look, much less 2 or more of 'em!
Keep in mind, I was comparing the 16-46 to some excellent, and more expensive subs - Paradigm Servo 15, Bag End Infra-18, and a Sunfire Signature. Can't remember if we had something else hooked up that weekend also - old age kicking in I guess!
Cheers,
CZ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks