Which SVS to buy??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Porper, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Eric Porper

Eric Porper Agent

UPDATE!! -- ordered the 20-59cs, cant wait!!!
    I am planning on jumping into a 20-39, but am debating between the cs and pc. I currently own an old Yamaha rxv390 dpl(I think 75wpc), which I can use to power the cs, but is that going to be enough? The cs would be significantly cheaper so I would be able to jump into it right now and get a better amp later, which also leads me to believe that it would provided for a better upgrading(add a second 20-39cs) down the road. But, since upgrading is far down the road, should I just hold out for a 20-39pc?
    I guess in summary, am I going to get shabby performance using my old Yamaha, and would a 20-39cs with say a Samson s700 amp(amp in the long run) be a better purchase than the 20-39pc?
    Thanks in advance for any input..
    ------------------
    Eric,
    -----------------------
    Equipment list
    Reciever - Onkyo 787
    Mains - Paradigm Monitor 11v.2
    Center - Paradigm cc370
    Surrounds - Paradigm Studio ADP
    Sub - ???
    [Edited last by Eric Porper on July 27, 2001 at 09:17 AM]
    [Edited last by Eric Porper on July 27, 2001 at 09:24 AM]

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Depends upon how far down the road. If it will only be a couple months, then you will want to wait. If it will be six months to a year than buy the CS now and be happy.

3. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a CS and am powering it with one side of a Pyramid Studio Pro DJ amp that I happened to have lying around.
    Sounds great, though I'll probably go ahead and add a second CS in the relatively near future since I have a big room. Will also add a nicer amp at some point, though definitely not the Samson.
    Bottom line: these CS subs will rock on much less power than you might think.
    Jerry
    ------------------

4. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Well, that's probably 75wpc into an 8ohm load... meaning you'll get 150wpc into the 4 ohm SVS. 150wpc is more than sufficient to push the 20-39. Heck, add the second 20-39 to the second channel on the Yamaha and you'll really be cookin. BTW, don't worry about your Yammy. If Tom can drive a pair of 20-39s with a lowly KLH stereo receiver, then your's will be more than up to the task.
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Eric, I'd go ahead and order the single 20-39CS for now. If you think the yamaha receiver will be used for more than a couple months...I can even custom tune the 20-39 to offer more system sensitivity. Meaning---I'll tune it a little higher...so for a given amount of amplifier power...it will provide more output for you. You'll trade off a little extension of course. We offer custom tuning as a no cost option btw. And if you want to add a *stock* port to the 20-39 at a later date(say you find a high power amp cheaply)...we can send you a regular port---as it only takes about 3 minutes to swap them in and out.I think the pricing of an additional port is $25 delivered(not sure about that one though).
    Btw---the amp output won't always double each time you halve the impedence. There's even instances where the output will drop as the impedence drops to low ranges.(usually

6. Eric Porper

Eric Porper Agent

Thanks for all the help, I am going to go with the 20-39cs, and after further review, I am thinking I will be adding a second and perhaps a new amp by November. Ill be ordering sometime Friday!!! Thanks again!! Should be a great week next week with Paradgim Studio ADP's coming and this!!
    By the way i am sneaking this one in under the radar of the wife, so i had to figure a weekend getaway into the price [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Eric,
    -----------------------
    Equipment list
    Reciever - Onkyo 787
    Center - Paradigm cc370
    Sub - ???

7. Eric Porper

Eric Porper Agent

Just places my order, 1 svs 20-39cs..must....resist...adding...a...second...and.. .a..new...amp.....
    ------------------
    Eric,
    -----------------------
    Equipment list
    Reciever - Onkyo 787
    Center - Paradigm cc370
    Sub - ???
    [Edited last by Eric Porper on July 27, 2001 at 09:23 AM]

8. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Depending on your room size, the 1 may just be fine, esp. if Tod says so. I can't even play my 25-31 at moderate volumes, but then again I'm not as much of a Schellshocked type as some. If you have the cash though, 2 can't hurt. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>Just places my order, 1 svs 20-39cs..must....resist...adding...a...second...and.. .a..new...amp....

10. Curt Jett

Curt Jett Agent

Jerry H, why do you recommend not buying the Samson amp? Have you had one and not been satisfied? Just curious.
    ------------------

11. Eric Porper

Eric Porper Agent

Tom--
    Good thought, i will definatly keep that in mind. I am sure the one will be plenty, but we all know is there really ever enough [​IMG]
    Ill give my thoughts and opinions as soon as i get it..
    Thanks!!
    ------------------
    Eric,
    -----------------------
    Equipment list
    Reciever - Onkyo 787
    Center - Paradigm cc370
    Sub - ???