What's new

Which SVS to buy? (1 Viewer)

Jerry T

Agent
Glen,
The 20-39s with port plugs are impressive but you left out the numbers for the 16-46s with port plugs.
13Hz - 1 port plug
10Hz - 2 port plugs
Oh yeah! Come to the Dark Side!
;)
Jerry

Glen_L

Stunt Coordinator
David,
It wasn't an extended listen--we listened to the intro to The Haunting with one and then the other. Perhaps all the various vibrations (pictures, etc) were distracting enough to make it hard to tell a difference. Toy Story 2 was his (Brian Fellmeth here at HTF) disc, so I wasn't as familiar with it. I've since read that its intro bass drops below 20Hz. Maybe we were hearing a lot of 2nd order harmonics :confused:? I can't say for sure. This was all done by ear.
As for the SPL meter, that one's easier. We put the RS meter right below the SVS logo for each sub and let her rip on a sustained bass note, I think 50Hz or so. The 25-31 pegged out the meter at 126 before seriously distorting (you could tell when it was being pushed too hard). On the same material, my 20-39 eked out 124 or so (sorry, it's been quite a while).
I know I'm going to have SPL to burn. That will be nice in case I ever move into a bigger room. And bragging rights in the small room in the meantime :).
Jerry,
Sorry, the force is strong with me this time. I waffled several times during my first SVS order, not this time. Glad to hear you've made your mind up though.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
The obvious solution to this problem is getting 4 16-46+'s. Two sets of these (corner loaded, of course)
with matched amps will deliver low bass that can blur your vision to the point of not being able
to even see the movie and SPL's that can collapse your lungs. :)

Robert Cranwell

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I am gonna go for 2-20-39+s and feel with my MC-1 and the port plugs I should be able to any combination I want.;) Who goes with 4 SVS has got have either a large room or bassitis,or a cobination there of. Great way to get the wife out of the house,forget the theater. She would be running around the house picking up all her nick-nacks and trinkets that insist on hanging on the walls with your box of finnishing nails.
Rob

Bruce N

Second Unit
I just placed my order of a pair of 16-46CS+ and a Crown K1 amp. I've had a pair of 20-39CS and the old Fidek 600 watt amp for over a year in a huge space where they will bottom out if I push towards reference level. I can't wait to hear the difference in the louder lower extention of the new plus models.

Bruce

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Well I sent my 16-46PC back for credit, and just ordered a pair of 20-39CS Plus w/ Samson 1000. I told my girlfriend that one sub is hers, and one is mine. This way she doesn't feel so bad about the charge on the CC. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks