Which Svs To Buy

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Sam_JO, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Sam_JO

Sam_JO Auditioning

I was contemplating purchase either of these; with the preference as stated below
    1>20-39 PCi
    2>25-31 PC-Plus
    3>20-39 PC-Plus

I Plan to use it in a 3000-4500 CB Ft Room at moderate listening Levels. I wanted to know the differences between these models w.r.t. to THD, Frequency Response, and tightness of bass. I know that 20-39 PC Plus can go much below 25-31 but for my room size I can compromise on the O/P power for sake of getting lower frequencies.

Does the PC-Plus have any other advantages over PCi at same (moderate) listening Levels (apart from Higher wattage) due to the subwoofer being used.

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Sam Jo:

That is a pretty big room to fill. I recommend the Plus subwoofer over the PCi. If you are going to be playing at "moderate" volumes, the 20-39 PC-Plus would be an outstanding choice.

Liked sized (i.e., same enclosure size) PCi and PC-Plus subs will sound very similar up to the clean limits of the PCi.

Above the limits of the PCi, the Plus will offer about 3 dB more clean output in the >30 Hz region, and 5 dB more clean output below 30 Hz.

In addition to the better dB-12 woofer and more powerful amp, you get the following features on the Plus:

0-180 degrees continuously variable phase control

triple 3" flared (both ends) high flow ports

variable tune capability (20, 16, 12 on the 20-39 PC-Plus) with port plugs

user adjustable subsonic filter with custom EQ curves for each tune setting (20, 16, 12)

For only another $250 over the PCi, the Plus is an incredible performance value, and IMO the best choice of what you listed above in a 3000-4500 ft3 room.

You didn't mention the PB2-ISD, but for $900 plus a special introductory shipping rate of only $50, it will outperform even the 20-39 PC-Plus. Is the big PB2-ISD also a possibility?

Regards,

Ed

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The smaller, and cheaper models will give slightly more DB, but won't go quite as deep. I would go for a plus model, perhaps the 25-31. Hard to say, you should email tom/ron at SVS and ask, that's what they're there for.

4. Chris_Prezgay

Chris_Prezgay Auditioning

I've had the PB2-ISD for about a month now, which I bought on the recommendation of Tom @ SVS. My room is about 3,500 cubic ft, opened to the rest of the house behind a 1/2 wall.

I Love this SUB! ! ! The bass is nice & low, and it moves anyone in the room at only 1/2 volume level. You can't beat the value, given that I was shopping locally (in So Cal) for much smaller subs that were much more $$$.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

You should call Ron at SVS and see what he recommends for your room. If need be he will ask for a fax drawing of the room. He will know what will work perfectly for you without going overboard. I dont know that much about subs but my room is around the same size as yours but with vaulted ceilings and of course the opening into the kitchen/eating area. I have a PB2+ on the far wall and run it about half way for movies. I could not imagine going smaller now that I have this.... just my opinion so take it for that as again I am not the sub expert.

6. Sam_JO

Sam_JO Auditioning

All,
    To Summarize the Differences between 25-31 PC-Plus and 20-39 PC-Plus.

25-31 PC-PLUS
    1>25 Hz tuning point (variable to 20, 16Hz)
    2>+2dB more max output compared to 20-39 At the absolute limit .
    3>Costs less by $50 (fits by budget)
    4>Lower by 8 inches (WAF)

20-39 PC-PLUS
    1>20 Hz tuning point (variable to 16, 12Hz)

Advantages of having a 20-39 over 25-31:
    1>capability to tune it to 12Hz
    2>Higher output by +2db at 20Hz compared to 25-31(tuned at 20Hz)

I am leaning towards 25-31 PC-Plus[​IMG].
    folks correct me if i am missing something here

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Sam - in that case, you might want to get the 25-31PC+ w/ the new driver that's tuned to 22Hz. You would still keep a bunch of the other advantages while having the ability of slightly deeper bass.

8. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Oh yeah- also another advantage of that option is that it doesn't cost you any more. You just ask for it.

9. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The 25-31 PC-Plus has three 3" flared vents and variable tuning capability. The native (stock) tune is 25 Hz for this model, with lower tunes of 20 and 16 Hz available by plugging a port (or two) and adjusting the tune switch on the 525 watt BASH amp.

Ernest Yee is referring to the 25-31 PCi, which has a fixed tune from a single 4" flared vent. The normal tune for this model is 25 Hz, but it can be tuned at the factory to 22 Hz with a slightly longer vent.

Sam Jo, you've got a good handle on the differences between the various models. In that size room (pretty large) if you were going to utilize a single cylinder sub, the 25-31 PC+ is a good choice as it will have a bit more output capability in the more common bass ranges (>23 Hz) than the 20-39 PC+.

The PB2-ISD will still outperform a single 25-31 PC+ for about the same price, and still deserves a hard look IMO.

Regards,

Ed

10. Edward.P

Edward.P Auditioning

Ditto talking to Ron at SVS. He'll steer you right. I have a PB2+ and love it. Your room is large and for a few hundred more you'll be more than happy.