Which SVS Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnEF, Sep 9, 2004.

1. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

I have been thinking about an upgrade to an SVS sub-woofer and have been looking at the SVS 20-39PC+. I don't know if this is the right one for my setup and I am interested in those with experience with SVS subwoofers.

Our family room is 15' by 22' with 8'ceilings. It is thickly carpeted with drapes along one side (to keep out light) and there are no openings into the room when all doors are closed. My current system includes the Outlaw 950/770 combo, two Pinnacle gold reference towers, a Pinnacle gold reference center and 4 Pinnacle gold reference minimonitors for the surrounds and back. I also have a Pinnacle 250 watt subwoofer that at times sounds boomy to me.

We use the system to watch mostly DVD movies (Infocus 5700 DLP projector and a 110" Da-Lite HCCV gray screen). About 10-15% of the time we listen to music. I am more than happy with my entire setup with the exception of the subwoofer. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

John

2. Ben Mecham

Ben Mecham Agent

The 20-39 PC+ is one of SVS's most popular subs, and for good reason. My buddy got one not long ago for his HT - 23' X 14' X 9.5' with carpeted concrete floors and it is seriously amazing! I have heard a lot of subwoofers over the years, and I've gotta say that SVS has a truly amazing product for the price! Plenty of chest-thumping there! It also depends on your budget as well -- if you can afford it, the PC Ultra has some even better reviews and has the upgraded driver as well as a built-in parametric EQ if you need to tune in to perfection. Either way, you can't go wrong with those subs -- you won't be disappointed.

3. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

John,
    Send an email to the guys at SVS with a description of your room and setup. They'll be more than happy to reccommend the sub that will work best for your needs. Unlike a lot of "salespeople" out there, they won't just try to get you to buy the most expensive thing. They will work with you to determine which product best works for your setup and listening preferences.

Sean

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

John,
    Send an email to the guys at SVS with a description of your room and setup. They'll be more than happy to reccommend the sub that will work best for your needs.
    __________________________________________________ ___

Good idea and will most likely set your mind at ease concerning. Be sure to give them your listening preference level and placement also.

From the info that you have shared so far. You would be hard pressed not to find a sub over at SVS that would not do the job and do it well, corner loaded. I would recommend a dB-12 driver unit 16-20-25 Hz tune (your preference) if your listening level is around -20 to -10? If you want to spend a little more and gain more performance yet, and headroom? Well by all means go for the PC-Ultra if the cylinder style sits well with you? Admittedly it would have plenty of headroom, but you would have the performance of the TV-12 driver and never have to wonder or upgrade if that were a concern.

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

If you can answer a few questions, we might be able to pin down a model recommendation for you.

- Where will the sub be placed in the room.

- How far are the key listening positions from the sub.

- When calibrating for HT applications, how "hot" do you run your sub, compared to your speaker channels?

- What is your typical master volume setting with respect to Reference Level (like -5RL, -10RL, -15RL) when watching DVDs.

- Do you listen to 32' pipe organ music?

- Which form factor do you prefer more: Box or Cylinder.

- Which finish option do you prefer: Black or Wood.

- What is your budget?

Regards,

Ed

6. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions. I did send an e-mail to tech support at SVS. I usually listen to most movies at -10. I wonder if I can use both subwoofers at the same time (the signal can be split) but I imagine there would be an imbalance.

John

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I wonder if I can use both subwoofers at the same time (the signal can be split) but I imagine there would be an imbalance.
    __________________________________________________ ______

I wouldn't recommend. To many variables that can and will degrade performance. You could try it out to confirm but I wouldn't count on it.

8. Edward J M

Ugh, I'm with Steve-o on this one; you won't want to mix them after hearing the SVS. [​IMG]

I think a Plus model is a smart move in that size room for HT at -10 RL. I lived with a 20-39PC+ for over a year and it's a fabulous sub that does everything well.

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

>>it's a fabulous sub that does everything well.

10. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

I guess I have to convince my wife that the spare 250 watt sub woofer that I am moving to the bedroom is really a lamp table that vibrates and makes booming noise. Maybe I should hook it up to the cd/clock radio to wake us up in the morning.

All kidding aside. When I get my answer from SVS (hopefully soon) I will decide what model to get. I will give th subwoofer to my daughter to go with the Yamaha 793 that I gave her.

Thanks again for the input.

John

11. Manendra

Manendra Stunt Coordinator

Ed,

In terms of sonic qualities (20Hz performance, distortion, etc) and ease of placement, are there many differences between the box and the cylinder? If so, what are they? I'm talking about the PC Ultra & PB Ultra.

Thanks for your input.

12. Edward J M

Hi Manendra:

The most obvious difference is the tuning of the enclosure. The PC Ultra has a native 20 Hz tune, and the PB2-Ultra has a native 25 Hz tune. Both subs have varaible tune, though.

If you tune the PB2-Ultra to 20 Hz by plugging a port and setting the switch to 20 Hz, it will exhibit very similar extension as the PC-Ultra (in the stock 20 Hz tune), while still retaining an output advantage. Dual co-located PC Ultra would outperform a PB2-Ultra in the 20 Hz tune, though.

In terms of sound quality, there really should be no noticeable differences between the two if they are both set to the 20 Hz tune.

Regards,

Ed

13. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

It's been a couple of days since I sent the e-mail to SVS concerning the appropriate subwoofer for my setup. About how long do they take to respond? I did send my request to techsupport which I hope is the right place. I am leaning to the cylinder model at any rate.

I guess I am getting antsy (or is it antzy) from upgraditis. Thank God my wife has ceded our family room to me for my "home theater" and doesn't really object to much of anything I do down there (except if it involves another woman).

John

14. Edward J M

Try sending it again; Tom V was having trouble with email, IIRC. It might have gotten sent to data heaven. Normally you will see a response in less than 24 hours (sometimes even sooner).