Which SVS subwoofer will suit this home theater setup best?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisDumont, Jul 28, 2003.

1. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

Well I'm looking at purchasing this sound system and heard SVS subwoofers are highly recommended. I'm looking into getting one but am wondering which SVS subwoofer will suit this setup best:

-2 Connoisseur C-9
    -2 C-3 bookshelf
    -1 C-C3 centre speaker
    -2 CR3 surround speakers

All are Energy brand speakers. Now to save money I may decide to downgrade to some C-7's or go to 5.1 instead of 7.1. Which SVS subwoofer would you recommend to me then? Oh and where would be the best and cheapest place to purchase an SVS subwoofer? Thx

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

It is more dependent on the size of your room and what kind of bass you are looking for.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Regarding your other question, the only place to buy them new is direct from the company. They sometimes have b stock at a discount. The only other option is to find a used one.

As far as which one to get- you have to make a personal decision as to which is more important- loud or low. The cheapest way to get in is to pick up an unpowered CS25-31 for $379 new and power it with any old funky receiver or amp laying around the house. Don't have one of those ? They grap an old 70's high powered amp or receiver with a blown channel off of Ebay for 50 bucks.

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Please provide:

- room dimensions

- ceiling height

- describe any permanent openings and their location with respect to the proposed subwoofer location

- the distance from the proposed subwoofer location to the key listening positions

- your preferred playback volume for HT (moderate, loud, or REALLY room-shakingly loud)

- your listening tastes for music (mainly looking for source material with really deep subsonic content like pipe organ)

Regards,

Ed