What's new

Which SVS Subwoofer for my setup? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently decided to purchase an SVS Subwoofer, however, am not sure which one to get! I will be mating it with a Denon 3802 receiver and matched Klipsch Reference Series speakers (R*-3II models). I cannot spend any more than 1000 but would preferably like to pay less if possible. (at that price, I would be paying almost the same for my sub as the rest of my speakers! Is that worth it?). Should I be looking at the PCi models or the CS models? Will I need to get a separate amp, and if so, which one? Additionally, is there anything new coming from SVS in the next month or so I should wait for? Thanks for the help!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Remember that your sub will not only handle the LFE channel but all the sub 80hz sound from all the other channels as well. You don't want to skimp on the sub.
Which one depends on your budget, your room size, and how close to reference levels you want to get. You've specified budget.
SVS has anounced that they will start taking preorders on the PC+ line on July 15th and they expect to start shipping them in late August. The 20-39PC+ will be $750. Not knowing the answers to the other two questions I asked that is what I would recommend from SVS given your current equipment and budget.
Another option I don't know if you have considered or not is a custom built sub. There are two places, Link Removed or Link Removed, that costum build subs using designs and drivers proven by the DIY sub community. For around $750 (less or more depending on the finish and allignment you choose) both places could build you a Tempest or Dayton DVC15" based sub that could compete with the SVS Ultra.

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, I have a setup very similar to yours (Denon 3801 driving Klipsch ref3's all around, using RB-5s for the mains). What Dustin said is very appropriate, what speaker is best for you is most heavily dependant on your available space and individual taste. From my own perspective, I have a relatively small HT area (12x14 open on one side as part of an L-shaped downstairs den area). I opted for the expandability and extra headroom available in the 20-39CS/Samson 700 package, figuring I could upgrade to dual subs if I so desired in the future. A 20-39CS with amp will easily fit your budget, and in my opinion, blends well with the Klipsch.
But your personal taste and room size will be key factors. If you are a fan of BIG BASS and like your movies at or near ref, and if you have a large HT room, then a single CS may not be enough for you. For me, with 4 young kids sleeping upstairs during prime movie time, I rarely set the volume above -20 on the Denon, so the single 20-39 is more than enough! (But when the kids get older...;) )

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"I cannot spend any more than 1000 but would preferably like to pay less if possible. (at that price, I would be paying almost the same for my sub as the rest of my speakers! Is that worth it?)."
A good sub is definitely worth it!
Should I be looking at the PCi models or the CS models? Will I need to get a separate amp, and if so, which one?
With the CS models you WILL need a separate amp. SVS offers 3 or you can use your own. The PCI have their own built in power amp. If you add a second sub later one CS series is the most economical way to go. If you don't it becomes a matter of personal preference.
Additionally, is there anything new coming from SVS in the next month or so I should wait for? Thanks for the help!
Only Tom or Ron know for sure. But why postpone enjoying a good sub. Life's too short!

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. It looks like the 20-39PC Plus coming out in August is the best bet for me. I don't plan on adding two subs anytime soon as I'm maxing my budget as it is just getting one. At least I know that going with an SVS, I certainly won't have any regrets. But the wait till late August is going to be a killer!

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Tom,

Unless your are limited to the SVS line, as Dustin suggested, best "bang for the buck" might be in DIY or Kit assembly subs.

Or you could also look at the HSU VTF-3 at $850, or the VMPS LARGER at $699, or VMPS Original at $499. (VMPS subs also need an amp)

The VMPS Origninal with a good amp (add $200) would probably give you what you want (now!) for $699.

The DIY, HSU and VMPS options offer a good value and probably similar performance, as well as a different look.

Personally, I like the SVS tower look, but some prefer the "the box".

John Casler

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks