which svs sub? the 25-31 or 20-39?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by aaron_dewitt, Mar 18, 2002.

1. aaron_dewitt

aaron_dewitt Agent

This is goign to be for basically a hometheater setup only. the room is about 25' by 28' with a false cealing. Which sub do you recommed and why? It will be paired with a denon 3802 and klipsch rf3, rc7 and rs3. Or possibly rf7, rc7 and rs7 if the price is right.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That's a big room!

How much do you have to spend and how loud you want to go?

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Colin has a good point. That is one big room. If you can afford it I would recommend two subs!

Which one you choose is dependent on your personal taste. Do you want the bass louder or deeper???

4. aaron_dewitt

aaron_dewitt Agent

its fairly good size, it is my basement not a dedicated room. I can only go with one sub right now. Not sure on what i like low frequecy or louder. All i want is sharp accurate and precise base.

5. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I am in the same situation as you with a big room. I actually had a 25-31cs+ and a 20-39cs in my room at the same time. I prefered the 25-31cs+. I was a good bit more forceful in the critical areas and I never felt I was missing anything down low. I ran the PM THX intro over and over and could not really discern a difference. When I use the port plug in the cs+, it goes just about as low on paper but I still really could not detect a difference in extension between the two. I stuck with the 25-31cs+ and have never looked back. Eventually when I get a dedicated room, I plan on adding an additional 25-31.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

There you go.

If you can only have one, get a 25-31+ and feed it as much power as you possibly can. 500 watts is perfect. You'll use all of it if you go loud (LOUD).

I have a 20-39 and I cant hear anything below 22hz. Feel it, yeah, but for big rooms get more db's. Now that I think about it, I am woofing my entire basement too, since I can't close off the room completely. Approx. 30 x 22 x 9, 165 watts. I probably run out of amp power, but I sit close enough to the sub to get the effect. I don't go apeshit very often, either.

Have fun!

7. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Funny that this comes up as I was doing some testing last night.

I have a 4500cu.ft. room. I run two 25-31CS's (w/22Hz tune) and the Samson amp. I disconnected one sub just to mess around. It sounded a lot better than what I thought it would sound like. I hooked both back up and for the first time ran the first 3 - 5 minutes of Toy Story 2 (purchased it yesterday). Holy Moly! I was hugely amazed by the amount of bass that these two subs were putting out. I didn't want to turn it up much more for fear of my DVD's spilling onto the floor from the shelf. Everything was moving including my hair. My oldest son looked over at me wide eyed and said "This is awesome!". I don't know what I might be missing down low but for price, size and sound these just can't be beat. I now wonder what two of the 25-31CS+'s would sound like.